Darren Criss: I Felt Terrified to Cover Christina Aguilera on 'Glee'
No matter how many times he has covered songs from big stars like Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson on "Glee", Darren Criss admits it's always unnerving to have such big vocal shoes to fill in. Talking to Billboard, he reveals that covering Christina Aguilera's hit single "Fighter" on the "Glee" latest outing is no difference.
"I felt terrified," the Blaine Anderson depicter confesses. He elaborates his statement, "Any time when we have to sing like Whitney, or I did Beyonce once, I feel like that. It's mathematically impossible for me to sing those songs, because I am not those people, nor will I make claims to being in their ballpark."
Regardless of his jittery, Darren always tries his best to do justice to every song he covers. "For any song it's important to try and make the qualities of their performance, and find some common denominator, which is still hard for me because those songs are vocally very complex," the 25-year-old actor explains.
"I pick my battles and try some riffs and stuff, and give it as much energy and sincerity and passion to it that will hopefully translate the same kind of points. So even if you can't give it the same vocal specificity, off camera and in the studio, I try and give it a lot of energy so you forget about the actual crazy riffs not being in it."
Juggling between acting and singing, Darren feels that music is something that he always holds close to his heart. "The cool thing about music is no one can take music away from you, writing wise," he says. "Acting you're inherently waiting to be called for something bigger than yourself. Where you're not in the drivers seat of creation of it -- not to say you don't get to create a role because obviously I get to do that."
"But with music I always have my guitar around, or a piano around, or when you're sleeping and before you go to sleep at night you can always hear music and write music. It's easy to always be working on it some way, shape or form. I always make time for the things that are important to me. I'm very busy, but music will never be impossible to work on."
- 'Bachelorette' Premiere Recap: JoJo Meets Her Suitors. Who Makes the Most Memorable Entrance?
- Ariana Grande Makes Out a Lot in 'Into You' Music Video
- New CG-Animated 'Garfield' in the Works as Franchise
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Flesh-Baring Outfit at Vogue 100 Festival in London
- Lil Wayne Blasts Cash Money Again Months After Reuniting With Birdman
- 'The Voice' Final Performances: Listen to the Top 4's Original Songs
- Justin Bieber Sings Taylor Swift's Song and Talks About Her First Love. Is He Mocking Her?
- Beyonce and Jay-Z's Long-Rumored Joint Album May Arrive Anytime Now