New Images of Whitney Houston as Jordin Spark's Mom in 'Sparkle'
More images of Whitney Houston in "Sparkle" have been unleashed. The images offer new look at the "I Will Always Love You" hitmaker in her portrayal of the mother of Jordin Sparks' titular character. Most of the photos show the recently deceased diva looking forlorn while sitting alone or talking to another person.
In the upcoming motown era drama, Houston plays a "not-so encouraging mother" of the titular singer. The film itself is inspired by the story of The Supremes. It follows the journey of the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
The film will mark Houston's first and last big screen stint after 1996's "The Preacher's Wife". The "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" songstress once claimed that she didn't see the movie as a comeback project.
"I don't think of it as a comeback. I don't think of it as a pressure," she told Coming Soon. "I think of it as a gift God gave me to contribute to a cast of people who are working as hard if not harder than I. I have two jobs and executive of the soundtrack. I've done it before."
Salim Akil serves behind the lens for "Sparkle", while his wife Mara Brock Akil provides the screenplay. Also rounding up the cast ensemble are Mike Epps, Omari Hardwick, Cee-Lo Green, Carmen Ejogo, Tika Sumpter and Derek Luke. The drama will be released in the U.S. on August 17.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story