Jordin Sparks Talks Her Jaw-Dropping Duet With Whitney Houston
Jordin Sparks has heard the duet song she recorded with Whitney Houston for their movie "Sparkle", and she's impressed by its final cut. "I actually just heard a cut of it the other day and my jaw was on the floor," the former "American Idol" contestant gushes to EW.
Looking up to the late New Jersey singer as one of her inspirations, Jordin says, "For me as a singer growing up listening to her, to be able to do a song with her is incredible. And being her friend, just hearing how she sounded, it was amazing. So I can't wait for people to hear that. I cannot wait."
The song is called "Celebrate" and written by R. Kelly. "My fans are going to see a different side of me," Jordin continues to share her excitement. "Because it's deep R&B. It's got that old '60s flair. It's just really emotional and super connected."
"Sparkle" director Salim Akil adds, "It's just an upbeat, fun song with two women who can really blow. It's just one of those kind of songs. There's no other way to put it. You've got two strong women who can sing their asses off. It's upbeat and they're trading off like Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley."
"Sparkle" is a remake of the 1976 music-themed film of the same title, which was inspired by the story of The Supremes. It follows the journey of the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
Whitney plays a single mom to the three girls, played by Jordin, Carmen Ejogo and Tika Sumpter. The movie was supposed to be the "Bodyguard" actress' comeback to the big screen since she was last seen in 1996's "The Preacher's Wife". Also starring Mike Epps, Cee-Lo Green and Omari Hardwick, it's due in the U.S. on August 17.
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?