The Woman Saved by Ryan Gosling Speaks Out: I'm Not Damsel in Distress
News that Ryan Gosling rescued a woman from getting hit by a cab got wide coverage on the web, but the lady who got saved by the actor didn't think it was newsworthy enough. Identified as a U.K. journalist named Laurie Penny, she said the incident, which "lasted about five seconds," was exaggerated and she told people to calm down about it.
Penny was miffed because she thought she's "being framed as the ditzy damsel in distress in this story." She additionally noted that what the "Drive" actor did was normal as "people do lovely, considerate things for other people all the time." She adds, "I don't believe that the fact that A-list celebrities occasionally act like human beings is in itself news."
Though she felt grateful and was "a little bit swoony" after the incident, Penny insisted "the sentiment [of] 'Ryan Gosling is a total hero and saved this woman's life!' needs to be reassessed." She went on, "The real heroes I've met in America are risking everything to make sure that the United States doesn't slide further into bigotry, inequality and violence."
The self-proclaimed feminist continued, "I do not mean any disrespect to Ryan Gosling, who is an excellent actor and, by all accounts, a personable and decent chap. I thought he was marvelous in 'The Ides of March', and will feel weird about objectifying him in future now that I have encountered him briefly as an actual human."
The female journalist concluded her thoughts by stressing, "I refuse to be cast in any sort of boring supporting female role, even though I have occasional trouble crossing the road, and even though I did swoon the teeniest tiniest bit when I realized it was him. I think that's lazy storytelling, and I'm sure Ryan Gosling would agree with me."
Ryan Gosling saved Laurie Penny from getting run over by a speeding car on 6th Avenue. "I literally, LITERALLY just got saved from a car by Ryan Gosling. Literally. That actually just happened," she tweeted. "I was crossing 6th avenue in a new pink wig. Not looking the right way because I am from London. Ryan Gosling grabbed me away from a taxi."
Penny furthermore recalled, "He did not say 'hey, girl.' He said 'hey, watch out!' " She added, "Identity of no-idea-if-actually-a-manarchist-but-definitely-a-decent-sort Ryan Gosling confirmed by girl near me, who said 'you lucky b***h'." She later followed it with another note, "I don't mean to be a d**khead about this but I really think it's a bit of a fuss over not very much."
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016
- Taylor Swift Won't Come to MTV VMAs 2016 as Kanye West Is Given Free Reign on Stage
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels