Universal to Bring 'The Mummy' Franchise Back From the Dead
Universal Pictures is ready to bring "The Mummy" out of its tomb. The studio is currently developing a reboot for the iconic horror adventure movie franchise, Variety reported. The new project has sealed "Prometheus" screenwriter Jon Spaihts to pen the script.
Spaihts admitted that bringing back "The Mummy" to the big screen is as exciting as working for "Prometheus". He shared, "I see it as the sort of opportunity I had with 'Promtheus': to go back to a franchise's roots in dark, scary source material and simultaneously open it up to an epic scale we haven't seen before."
The original producer of "The Mummy", Sean Daniel, is set to reprise his duty once again. Daniel has previously produced all four movies in the billion-dollar-grossing series from 1999 to 2008.
The original "The Mummy" was released in 1932 and was helmed by Karl Freun. The 1999 remake was directed by Stephen Sommers and successfully collected $415 million worldwide. Its 2001 sequel "The Mummy Returns" scored a bigger success by grossing $433 million worldwide.
In 2002, Chuck Russell made a spin-off for the series, "The Scorpion King", which starred Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. However, the film couldn't best its predecessors since it only took in $165 million worldwide. The last film in the franchise, "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor", was unleashed in 2008 and grossed $401 million worldwide.
More The Mummy News
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift
- Fans Petition 'Star Wars' to Include First Gay Character to Honor Orlando Victims
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch
- Paris Hilton Likes a Shady Meme to Remind Kanye West She Made Kim Kardashian Famous
- Dwayne Johnson Shares New Picture From 'Fast and Furious 8' Set