Video Premiere: Garbage's 'Blood for Poppies'
Garbage have released an official music video to support their comeback single "Blood for Poppies". The clip is filled with vintage footage that follows Shirley Manson and her bandmates as they "hopped around little pockets of Los Angeles creating a gorgeous surrealist dream."
The video was directed by renowned fashion photographer and filmmaker Matt Irwin, and inspired by such artists as Magritte, Maya Deren, Luis Brunel and Francesca Woodman. It's introduced by the band in a Ustream chat, where they answer fans' questions about their new project.
"The song is meant to feel sort of like an abstract dream," Shirley said. "The inspiration came from a story I had read in The Los Angeles Times about the opium trade and also from watching the documentary 'Restrepo'. It's not literal in any sense whatsoever but it's a song about disorientation and delusion and the human struggle to stay sane in the face of insanity."
Recalling the making of the video, the lead singer said, "We piled into a transit van with the ridiculously talented team of Matt Irwin and Aaron Brown." She added, "We ate ice cream sandwiches in the sunshine and laughed a lot. I didn't want the shoot to end."
"Blood for Poppies" is the first single from Garbage's new album "Not Your Kind of People", which is due in the United States on May 15. They will hit the road across the country in support of the album starting April 9.
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip