Diggy Simmons on Dissing J. Cole: I Was Just Sticking Up for My Family
Diggy Simmons caused a buzz over the weekend when his song "What You Say to Me", which took a jab at fellow rapper J. Cole, hit the web. While Cole hasn't commented on the diss, Simmons has addressed the matter when doing an interview on 99.1 KGGI in California recently.
The rapper said he wrote it a year ago to defend his sister Vanessa Simmons. He revealed, "My sister over a year ago told me that [J. Cole] was saying that he did this, that and third with her, 'cus they went to the same college, but they didn't really know each other like that, so it wasn't like that."
The son of senior rapper Rev Run continued his story, "She also told me that he subliminally talked about her in a song called 'Purple Rain,' which was also false. So it was just me sticking up for my family, that's all that it really was."
Insisting he didn't leak the song, Simmons said, "I was gonna put it out, but I didn't feel like it was appropriate." Still, he noted, "That's my sister...family over everything. [My dad Reverend Run] had already heard the track and he was like the same thing: 'Family over everything, that's your sister,' so he wasn't mad at all."
The Run DMC star indeed gave his blessings to his son. The rapper-turned-preacher, whose real name is Joseph Ward Simmons, wrote on Twitter, "J Cole.. Puts out 2 records Dissing family & Diggy & nobody cared.. Some1 leaks a old Diggy record & there's a problem?"
Cole took shots at the Simmons family in two songs 2010's "Purple Rain" and 2011's "Grew Up Fast". In the former song, he talked about his sexual relationship with a "good girl" whose "father was a preacher." In the latter, he rapped, "You ni**as is not Russell, you more Diggy/ Me? I'm more Biggie."
Answering the two songs, the young Simmons fired back in his own song, "The other day I was listening to 'Purple Rain'/ Couldn't believe all of the things I heard him say. .. Heard you lying on my sis, tellin' people that you hit/ When ya album drops, I'ma hit you with your brick."
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake