Oprah Winfrey: I Would Not Have Started OWN Had I Known It Was This Difficult
OWN's struggle was one of the topics discussed when Oprah Winfrey stopped by "CBS This Morning" on Monday, April 2. Being interviewed by Charlie Rose and her own best friend Gayle King, the former daytime talk show queen shared, "The idea of creating a network was something that I wanted to do. Had I known that it was this difficult, I might have done something else."
"I didn't think it was going to be easy, but...if I knew then what I know now, I might have made different choices. If I were writing a book about it, I could call the book '101 Mistakes'," she went on sharing. Of one of the top five, she said it's launching the network before it was ready.
"It's like, having the wedding when you know you're not ready. And you're walking down the aisle and you're saying, 'Oh, I don't know if we should be walking down the aisle. Maybe we should have postponed this'," she went on elaborating. "I would have probably waited until I actually finished 'The Oprah Show'."
Despite realizing she made mistakes with OWN, she claimed, "Actually, I feel better about our network now today than I ever have." Of the most painful thing that she's had to do in her role as OWN's CEO, she said it's laying off 30 employees.
When asked if she would ever quit television, the host of "Oprah's Next Chapter" explained, "The reason why I wouldn't do that, first of all... Because I'm a very driven person. Also, I believe that I am here to fulfill a calling."
"That because I am a female who is African American, who has been so blessed in the world, there's never going to be a time to quit. I will die in the midst of doing what I love to do. And that is, using my voice and using my life to try to inspire other people to live the best of theirs."
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie