Artist of the Week: Melanie Fiona
Melanie Fiona shines brighter on Billboard Hot 200 by scoring her highest-charting album. She could only peak at No. 27 on the chart with her critically-acclaimed effort "The Bridge" three years ago, but this year she managed to start much higher with its follow-up "The MF Life". She landed at No. 7, becoming the fourth-highest chart entry of the week.
"The key thing I want to impress upon anyone who listens to 'The MF Life' is the idea that it's possible to learn from everything that comes at you," she said. "That's been my process. It's why on the surface, the 'MF' in the album title represents my initials, but it also gets at the many facets of myself as an artist and a young woman."
"It can be viewed as the 'Mighty Fine Life' in times of triumph and success, but also the 'Mother-F-ing Life' when I'm dealing with frustration or misfortune. I celebrate both. I feel it would be dishonest if everything was all about glitz and glamor. It's about the balance of life, the yin and the yang, the good and the bad, all of that."
In an interview with Los Angeles Times, Fiona revealed how she pushed herself in order to show her growth as an artist. "I allowed myself to open up to a new sound and introduce myself to the world with this new sound," she gushed. "[Songs like '4 AM' and other leaked tracks] really got people paying attention to the entire album, and not just the song."
Hot on heels of her top 10 debut on Hot 200, Fiona won R&B/Soul Recording at 2012 Juno Awards, thanks to the album's lead single "Gone and Never Coming Back". She beat the likes of JRDN, Jully Black, Karl Wolf and Robin Thicke.
- Donald Trump Tweets Wrong Ivanka. Find Out How She Reacts
- Here's Ben Affleck's Reaction to Viral #SadAffleck Meme
- Ali Fedotowsky on Corinne's Raunchy Acts on 'Bachelor': 'I Find That Truly Sad'
- 'White Men Can't Jump' Remake Is in the Works
- Ed Sheeran Scores First No. 1 Hit on Billboard Hot 100 With 'Shape of You', Makes Chart History
- Nina Dobrev Reveals She Accidentally Exposed Her Genitals During Bikini-Clad Photoshoot
- Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill Apparently Only Fake Their Breakup
- NFL Bans Lady GaGa From Talking About Politics at Super Bowl