Artist of the Week: Melanie Fiona
Melanie Fiona shines brighter on Billboard Hot 200 by scoring her highest-charting album. She could only peak at No. 27 on the chart with her critically-acclaimed effort "The Bridge" three years ago, but this year she managed to start much higher with its follow-up "The MF Life". She landed at No. 7, becoming the fourth-highest chart entry of the week.
"The key thing I want to impress upon anyone who listens to 'The MF Life' is the idea that it's possible to learn from everything that comes at you," she said. "That's been my process. It's why on the surface, the 'MF' in the album title represents my initials, but it also gets at the many facets of myself as an artist and a young woman."
"It can be viewed as the 'Mighty Fine Life' in times of triumph and success, but also the 'Mother-F-ing Life' when I'm dealing with frustration or misfortune. I celebrate both. I feel it would be dishonest if everything was all about glitz and glamor. It's about the balance of life, the yin and the yang, the good and the bad, all of that."
In an interview with Los Angeles Times, Fiona revealed how she pushed herself in order to show her growth as an artist. "I allowed myself to open up to a new sound and introduce myself to the world with this new sound," she gushed. "[Songs like '4 AM' and other leaked tracks] really got people paying attention to the entire album, and not just the song."
Hot on heels of her top 10 debut on Hot 200, Fiona won R&B/Soul Recording at 2012 Juno Awards, thanks to the album's lead single "Gone and Never Coming Back". She beat the likes of JRDN, Jully Black, Karl Wolf and Robin Thicke.
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign