Rep Denies Anne Hathaway Put Herself on Crash-Diet to Play Fantine in 'Les Miserables'
Anne Hathaway is not putting herself on an extreme crash-diet to portray the starving prostitute Fantine in "Les Miserables". As words began to spread around that the Oscar nominee is struggling to rapidly lose 16 pounds for the role, her representative came out with a denial, stating that the report is not more than just "a huge exaggeration."
Hathaway's rep further told E! News that although it is true the actress is undergoing a diet program for the coveted role, she doesn't engage in a crash-diet. "She is losing weight for the part, but not that much," insisted the rep. "Just enough for her to look more frail, as she is playing a dying prostitute."
Her spokesperson additionally slammed claim that Hathaway is living on apples and protein shakes in order to get skinny. "She is consuming more than 500 calories," so the rep explained. "[The tabloids] are making something of nothing, as usual."
Daily Mail previously reported that Hathaway is "having to resort to a drastic diet to lose her weight" to play Fantine. The British tabloid claimed that instead of eating the recommended 2,000 calories a day, the 29-year-old actress is down to under 500 to achieve the rapid result.
"Anne is playing a destitute factory worker-come-lady of the night," a source was cited as saying. "Unfortunately, she only has 15 to 20 days to lose as much weight as possible - up to a stone-and-a-half - because she's been filming the scenes showing her fit and healthy, almost slightly chubby."
"It's not ideal but, as with any high-budget movie, there are strict time constraints," added the source. "Producers have assigned her a personal trainer and she is literally eating nothing more than a couple of apples a day, and some protein - mainly in the form of a shake."
This was not the first time Hathaway gets struck with weight-loss issue for her movie roles. In 2011, the Brooklyn-born actress slimmed down to fit the super-tight Catwoman suit that she has to wear in "The Dark Knight Rises". She also went through a tight diet to play Andrea in 2006's "The Devil Wears Prada".
In "Les Miserables", Hathaway is joined by the likes of Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter. The Tom Hooper-directed movie itself centers on the struggle by ex-con Valjean to outrun his past and his relentless pursuer Javert, and will be released in the U.S. on December 14.
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016
- Taylor Swift Won't Come to MTV VMAs 2016 as Kanye West Is Given Free Reign on Stage
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck