Angelina Jolie Discusses 'Maleficent': It's Not Anti-Princess Movie
After taking a break from acting to work on her directorial debut "In the Land of Blood and Honey", Angelina Jolie is ready to perform in front of the camera again in "Maleficent". Though the movie is about the villainous queen in the classic Sleeping Beauty tale, Jolie insisted that the upcoming retelling film is not an "anti-princess."
Discussing the forthcoming Walt Disney Pictures movie with Entertainment Weekly, Jolie said, "The next thing I'm doing is 'Maleficent' for Disney. I start it in June, and it's a really great script." She added, "I'm having a lot of fun. I've already got my horns fitted. My kids are very happy."
Asked if Maleficent will be a protagonist instead of a villainess, the longtime partner of Brad Pitt said, "It's not anti-princess, but it's the first time they're looking at this epic woman." The actress explained, "I hope in the end you see a woman who is capable of being many things, and just because she protects herself and is aggressive, it doesn't mean she can't have other [warmer] qualities. You have to figure out the puzzle of what she is."
The "Salt" actress elaborated further on the supposedly antagonist character as saying, "It sounds really crazy to say that there will be something that's good for young girls in this, because it sounds like you're saying they should be a villain." She continued, "[Maleficent] is actually a good person. But she's not perfect. She's far from perfect."
As for how she will look like in her portrayal as the sorceress, Jolie said, "We're still figuring out the look. We're experimenting with different things." Still, she guaranteed that she will wear the character's iconic horn as appeared in the original 1959 animated film. "The horns are the horns - you can't deny them, You have to have horns," said the actress.
"Maleficent" will be directed by Robert Stromberg with Linda Woolverton penning the script based on the classic Charles Perrault fairytale. The retelling movie still hasn't set a U.S. release date yet.
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones
- Mariah Carey Threw James Packer's Laptop Out the Window After He Played a Beyonce Song
- Ariana Grande Is Sued Over 'One Last Time', Previews New Music Video Ft. Nicki Minaj
- New Set Pics Hint at 'Transformers: The Last Knight' 's Connection With Arthurian Mythology
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Haven't Put a Label on Relationship Even After Caught Kissing
- Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Ariana Grande and More Featured in 'Trolls' Soundtrack Album
- Naya Rivera Reveals She Got Pregnant and Had an Abortion When She Was on 'Glee'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: A Man Gets His Heart Broken and Leaves