Angelina Jolie Discusses 'Maleficent': It's Not Anti-Princess Movie
After taking a break from acting to work on her directorial debut "In the Land of Blood and Honey", Angelina Jolie is ready to perform in front of the camera again in "Maleficent". Though the movie is about the villainous queen in the classic Sleeping Beauty tale, Jolie insisted that the upcoming retelling film is not an "anti-princess."
Discussing the forthcoming Walt Disney Pictures movie with Entertainment Weekly, Jolie said, "The next thing I'm doing is 'Maleficent' for Disney. I start it in June, and it's a really great script." She added, "I'm having a lot of fun. I've already got my horns fitted. My kids are very happy."
Asked if Maleficent will be a protagonist instead of a villainess, the longtime partner of Brad Pitt said, "It's not anti-princess, but it's the first time they're looking at this epic woman." The actress explained, "I hope in the end you see a woman who is capable of being many things, and just because she protects herself and is aggressive, it doesn't mean she can't have other [warmer] qualities. You have to figure out the puzzle of what she is."
The "Salt" actress elaborated further on the supposedly antagonist character as saying, "It sounds really crazy to say that there will be something that's good for young girls in this, because it sounds like you're saying they should be a villain." She continued, "[Maleficent] is actually a good person. But she's not perfect. She's far from perfect."
As for how she will look like in her portrayal as the sorceress, Jolie said, "We're still figuring out the look. We're experimenting with different things." Still, she guaranteed that she will wear the character's iconic horn as appeared in the original 1959 animated film. "The horns are the horns - you can't deny them, You have to have horns," said the actress.
"Maleficent" will be directed by Robert Stromberg with Linda Woolverton penning the script based on the classic Charles Perrault fairytale. The retelling movie still hasn't set a U.S. release date yet.
More Maleficent News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story