Angelina Jolie Discusses 'Maleficent': It's Not Anti-Princess Movie
After taking a break from acting to work on her directorial debut "In the Land of Blood and Honey", Angelina Jolie is ready to perform in front of the camera again in "Maleficent". Though the movie is about the villainous queen in the classic Sleeping Beauty tale, Jolie insisted that the upcoming retelling film is not an "anti-princess."
Discussing the forthcoming Walt Disney Pictures movie with Entertainment Weekly, Jolie said, "The next thing I'm doing is 'Maleficent' for Disney. I start it in June, and it's a really great script." She added, "I'm having a lot of fun. I've already got my horns fitted. My kids are very happy."
Asked if Maleficent will be a protagonist instead of a villainess, the longtime partner of Brad Pitt said, "It's not anti-princess, but it's the first time they're looking at this epic woman." The actress explained, "I hope in the end you see a woman who is capable of being many things, and just because she protects herself and is aggressive, it doesn't mean she can't have other [warmer] qualities. You have to figure out the puzzle of what she is."
The "Salt" actress elaborated further on the supposedly antagonist character as saying, "It sounds really crazy to say that there will be something that's good for young girls in this, because it sounds like you're saying they should be a villain." She continued, "[Maleficent] is actually a good person. But she's not perfect. She's far from perfect."
As for how she will look like in her portrayal as the sorceress, Jolie said, "We're still figuring out the look. We're experimenting with different things." Still, she guaranteed that she will wear the character's iconic horn as appeared in the original 1959 animated film. "The horns are the horns - you can't deny them, You have to have horns," said the actress.
"Maleficent" will be directed by Robert Stromberg with Linda Woolverton penning the script based on the classic Charles Perrault fairytale. The retelling movie still hasn't set a U.S. release date yet.
- Check Out J.Lo's Skin-Baring and Eva Longoria's Classy Looks at Billboard Latin Music Awards
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik Get Cuddly in V Magazine's 'Gigi's Journal'
- Get First Look at David Thewlis' Ares in New 'Wonder Woman' Footage
- 'The Flash' Movie Eying 'Back to the Future' Director Robert Zemeckis
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right