Jon Hamm: People Fall in Love With Don Draper in 'Mad Men' Due to His Flaws
Jon Hamm tries to understand as to why people love his Don Draper character in "Mad Men" despite his association with adultery and deception. Admitting that he doesn't have "a good stock answer" to the question, the actor opines that maybe people buy the arrogant businessman because of his flaws.
Trying to see Don from the audience perspective, Hamm says, "He's conflicted. And I think people identify with him and with his flaws." Noting that Don is hardly a bad guy, he explains as quoted by New York Daily News, "Maybe they see in him a hope for redemption. Five years in, they're still rooting for him."
With "Mad Men" winning Best Drama at the Emmys in each of its first four seasons despite its modest ratings, Hamm thinks that "wrecking ball of Nielsen doesn't necessarily matter so much." He elaborates, "We've proven a show that doesn't pull big numbers can still have this kind of cultural impact."
The TV show is currently airing its season 5 and has two more seasons to go before stopping its production entirely. Talking about Don's future, Hamm gushes, "Don has proven his ability to adapt, but things are changing so rapidly that it's a significant challenge for him to stay on the leading edge."
He adds, "I think he can try. But you can't stay cool forever. Eventually we all become the old guy sitting in a chair on the lawn shaking his fist at the heavens."
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart