George Clooney: I Don't Have Any Interest in Running for Office
George Clooney might have been vocal in standing up for what he believes in, but he isn't tempted to take a plunge into the politics. Two days after being arrested during a protest outside of the Sudanese Embassy, the Hollywood hunk said in a recent TV interview that he doesn't have any interest in running for office.
When appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press", Clooney shared his belief that he actually has "a lot more influence" on the humanitarian causes as an activist rather than as a politician. "No super PAC has given me money. There is no outside influence for me," the Matt King of "The Descendants" stressed.
"I can actually have an opinion and it may not fit what the U.N. wants and it may not fit what other people want, and I can say, 'This is what I think is right' and stand by it," the 50-year-old actor further explained. "I think it's a lot easier than running for office. I don't have any interest in that."
Before his Friday, March 16 arrest, Clooney and his father testified before the Senate Foreign Relations committee. In their testimony, the two argued that a joint diplomatic action by the U.S. and China would be the best way to stop an outbreak of violence in the Sudan caused by the country's president, Omar Al-Bashir.
On "Meet the Press", the Oscar winner pointed out, "We're not appealing to anyone's better angels, we're not looking for humanitarian causes - I've done that before, it doesn't work. This is economically important for you and can be helpful. We can work together, and it would be beneficial for both of us, to make sure that we help orchestrate peace."
Having been fighting for the Darfur crisis for years, Clooney found himself handcuffed in a protest against the starvation movement made by the government. Before he was escorted away, the actor told NBC's Andrea Mitchell, "I'll stand together here with my father, so that at one moment in time when you people ask you where were you, where did you stand I want to say I'm standing on the right side of history."
More George Clooney News
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked