Comedian Gallagher Under Sedation as He Recovers From Heart Attack
Gallagher, the stand-up comedian best known for smashing watermelons with a sledgehammer, is in stable condition after suffering a heart attack on Wednesday, March 14 evening. His promotional manager, Christine Scherrer, said on Thursday that the 65-year-old is currently under sedation, but is "slowly recovering".
The comic, whose real name is Leo Anthony Gallagher Jr., collapsed backstage at Coach Joe's Hat Tricks in Lewisville, Texas just before he went on the stage to perform. The club's manager Marc Cummins told The Associated Press that the club's promotions director performed CPR on him before paramedics arrived.
Gallagher's manager told TMZ that he had suffered a "mild to serious" heart attack, and Scherrer further told CNN he is being treated at an undisclosed Dallas-area hospital. "We will not know the outcome until sometime tomorrow," she added, before further noting, "His family is with him and Hat Tricks has been unbelievable with the help and support with everything."
This is not the first time Gallagher suffered a heart attack. The comedian, who ran for governor of California in the 2003 recall election, collapsed on stage during a performance in Minnesota in March 2011 because of a minor attack. Of it, Scherrer said, "That was little bit more mild than this one."
More Gallagher News
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked
- North West Serves as Flower Girl at a Wedding and Dances Adorably at the Party
- Adele Doesn't Care About Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Split, She Clarifies
- Video: Justin Bieber Gets Into a Fight in German Bar
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Share First Photo of Baby Dusty Rose