Russell Brand Released From Police Custody After Posting $5,000 Bond
Russell Brand is paying his dues for smashing an office window with a paparzzi's cell phone on Monday, March 12. The estranged husband of Katy Perry has turned himself in to police custody on Thursday, March 15 afternoon, nearly a day after a warrant for his arrest was issued by the New Orleans Police Department.
At approximately 4 P.M., the Lonny Barnett of "Rock of Ages" was booked on one count of simple criminal damage to property. He was released from police custody around an hour later. New Orleans police spokesman Officer Garry Flot told Reuters that bail was set at $5,000 for the 36-year-old actor.
Brand's trouble with the law began after he was accused of snatching a phone belonging to a paparazzi by the name of Timothy Jackson and throwing it through a glass window of a nearby law firm building. After the incident, people from his camp reportedly contacted a worker inside the office when the window was broken to say that the "Arthur" star is willing to compensate for the shattered glass.
A misdemeanor warrant for Brand's arrest was issued on Wednesday and indicated that he's facing a potential fine of at least $700 for the incident. On the same day, the actor, who's in town to film "Lamb of God", explained his outburst through Twitter. "Since Steve Jobs died I cannot bear to see anyone use an iphone irreverently," so he wrote, "what I did was a tribute to his memory."
The broken window has since been replaced, and a production assistant from the movie Brand is shooting has stopped by to pay for the $240 repair in cash, TMZ reported. A representative for the law firm later confirmed to E! News that Lamb Productions did pay for the repair.
More Russell Brand News
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo