SXSW 2012 Winners: 'Gimme The Loot' and 'Beware of Mr. Baker' Grab Grand Jury Awards
The Jury and Audience Award winners of the 2012 South by Southwest Film Conference and Festival (SXSW) have been announced on Tuesday night, March 13. Winning the coveted grand jury award in the narrative feature competition is Adam Leon's "Gimme the Loot", while Jay Bulger's "Beware of Mr. Baker" bagged the same prize in the documentary feature competition.
As for the audience award category, Annie Eastman's "Bay of All Saints" and Megan Griffiths' "Eden" were named the winners in documentary and narrative respectively. Meanwhile, last year's blockbuster, "X-Men: First Class", was awarded with special jury recognition award for Excellence in Title Design.
Of this year's SXSW, Film Conference and Festival Producer Janet Pierson said, "It's been amazing this year to hear over and over again about the high range of quality across the board." He added, "I know I'm always going on about the great variety of our program, but this year it seems to have been embraced in even wider measure and it's very exciting."
"SXSW is a special moment for the creative community to both inspire and be inspired," Pierson continued on. "We appreciate the audience and jury engagement and recognition for these highlighted titles."
The 2012 SXSW Festival was wrapped at a ceremony taking place at the Vimeo Theater in Austin, Texas. Serving as the host was Doug Benson. This year, the festival hosted a total of 132 feature films, including 74 world premieres, 17 North American premieres and 11 U.S. premieres.
Winners for Audience Awards in the Narrative Spotlight, Documentary Spotlight, Emerging Visions, Midnighters, 24 Beats Per Second and Festival Favorites sections will not be revealed until Saturday, March 17. Meanwhile, the winner for the Headliner Audience Awards will be announced on Monday, March 19.
Feature Film Jury Awards:
- Documentary Feature Competition: "Beware of Mr. Baker" (directed by Jay Bulger)
- Narrative Feature Competition: "Gimme the Loot" (directed by Adam Leon)
- Documentary Feature: "Bay of All Saints" (directed by Annie Eastman)
- Narrative Feature: "Eden" (directed by Megan Griffiths)
- Narrative Shorts: "The Chair" (directed by Grainger David)
- Documentary Shorts: "CatCam" (directed by Seth Keal)
- Midnight Shorts: "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" (directed by Rebecca Sloan & Joseph Pelling)
- SXGlobal Shorts: "The Perfect Fit" (directed by Tali Yankelevich)
- Animated Shorts: "(Notes On) Biology" (directed by Danny Madden)
- Music Videos: Battles - "My Machines" (directed by Daniels)
- Texas Shorts: "Sparks" (directed by Annie Silverstein)
- Texas High School Shorts: "Boom" (directed by Daniel Matyas & Brian Broder)
- Excellence in Poster Design: "Man & Gun" (Designed by Justin Cox)
- Special Jury Recognition (Poster): "Pitch Black Heist" (Designed by Andrew Cranston)
- Audience Award Winner (Poster): "The Maker" (Designed by Christopher Kezelos)
- Excellence in Title Design: "Les Bleus de Ramville" (Designed by Jay Bond, Oily Film Company Inc.)
- Special Jury Recognition (Title): "X-Men: First Class" (Designed by Simon Clowes, Prologue Films)
- Audience Award Winner (Title): "Bunraku" (Designed by Guilherme Marcondes, Hornet Inc.)
- SXSW Wholphin Award: "The Black Balloon" (Directed by Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie)
- SXSW Chicken & Egg Emergent Narrative Woman Director Award: Megan Griffiths for Eden and Amy Seimetz for "Sun Don't Shine"
- Louis Black "LONE STAR" Award: "Bernie" (Directed by Richard Linklater)
- Special Jury Recognition: "Trash Dance" (Directed by Andrew Garrison)
- Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellowship: Lindsay Utz
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kenny Pitted Against Lee in Two-on-One Date
- Erin Andrews Shares Marvelous Photos of 'Fairytale' Wedding to Jarret Stoll
- Calvin Harris Shares Track List of New Album, Teases New Video With Katy Perry and Pharrell
- Report: Chris Brown and Quavo's Feud Is Far From Over
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Gets TV Premiere Date. See New Stunning Poster!
- 'Bachelor in Paradise': DeMario Details Wild Night With Corinne in First Interview Post-Scandal
- Remy Ma 'Ecstatic' After Breaking Nicki Minaj's Winning Streak at BET Awards
- 'Castle Rock' Casts Jane Levy and Sissy Spacek