Artist of the Week: The Wanted
The United States is catching a boyband fever. Among the popular all-male bands who managed to break music scene in the Stateside is The Wanted. Comprising of Max George, Siva Kaneswaran, Jay McGuiness, Tom Parker and Nathan Sykes, they busted the chart with their single "Glad You Came".
Those British boys made history by climbing up to No. 4 on Billboard Hot 100. It marked the highest chart entry by a British boyband, surpassing Take That who peaked at No. 7 with their song "Back for Good" in 1995. They outdid their peers from One Direction who previously entered the chart at No. 28.
"When we first heard 'Glad You Came' we just knew it had to be the first single from the new album," said one of the band's members Tom. The 23-year-old singer additionally gushed, "We all felt it was a new, refreshing sound and a perfect song for the summer which really gets you in the mood for a party." The single was covered by "Glee" cast.
"Things have gone absolutely crazy. I can't believe it," Parker told MTV News about their rise to stardom. "We always wanted that aim to go and do it in America. We did under the radar [in the U.K.] and it's kind of going back to the old traditional way that boy bands and bands used to do it, I suppose. It feels good and we're doing it old school."
Following the success of "Glad You Came", The Wanted set a U.S. release date for their sophomore set "Battleground", which will become their debut album in the country. "Great news, America: We are thrilled to announce we will be releasing our first US album on April 24!!" so they broke the news on Twitter. They're additionally eying big with their next offering, "Just recorded our next single ... #expecttheunexpected."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie