'Moonrise Kingdom' Announced as Opening Film of 2012 Cannes Film Festival
The opening film for the 65th Cannes Film Festival has been selected. On Friday, March 9, it is announced that Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" has been chosen to kick off the festival on May 16, marking the second year in a row a film by an American director gets the honor.
"Wes Anderson is one of the rising powers of American cinema, to which he brings a highly personal touch, particularly in 'Moonrise Kingdom', which once again is a testimony to the creative freedom in which he continues to evolve," General Delegate Thierry Fremaux said. "Sensitive and independent, this admirer of Fellini and Renoir is also in his own right a brilliant and inventive filmmaker."
Also commenting on the significance of the drama film's selection was Gilles Jacob, the president of the prestigious film festival held annually in Cannes, France. "With Wes Anderson opening the 65th Festival de Cannes, young American cinema will be celebrated on the Croisette," he gushed.
On the same day it opens the festival in the Grand theatre Lumiere of the Palais des Festivals, "Moonrise Kingdom" is scheduled to be released in cinemas across France. In the United States, the film starring Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand and Tilda Swinton is set to open in theaters on May 25.
It is set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, and tells the story of two twelve-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore, and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in more ways than anyone can handle.
The 65th Cannes Film Festival will run from May 16 to May 27. Its official selection, which includes In Competition, Un Certain Regard and Out of Competition, will be announced on April 19.
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle