Kelly Clarkson, Robin Thicke and More Announced as 'Duets' Mentors
A new singing competition series is on the way to give "American Idol" and "The Voice" a competition. "Duets" as announced by ABC, is a series debuting this summer with Kelly Clarkson, Robin Thicke, Lionel Richie and Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland as mentors and performers.
Each of these singers will travel around the country to find two duet partners for themselves. Each week, the proteges will perform with the stars before a live audience and only one pair will become the winner. The winning contestant will get a recording contract with Hollywood Records.
"The concept of 'Duets' is so fresh because mentoring is active and participatory," Nettles said in a statement. "Most of my greatest learning was from singing and playing with other performers throughout my life and career." Clarkson added, "The simple fact that I get to go out and find two people that I believe in, sing with them every week and help them accomplish their dream is an amazing thing that I can't wait to be part of."
Lionel said, "I can't wait to get started working with these phenomenally talented young artists. My goal will be to focus on developing true artistry and giving them the tools necessary to be creative artists instead of created artists and I am eager to pass along a few of the nuggets of wisdom that I have received throughout my 40 -year career from my own mentors, such as Marvin Gaye, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Quincy Jones and Stevie Wonder."
Meanwhile, Thicke said, "I'm truly excited to be a part of 'Duets.' The format is unlike anything that's out there right now and the opportunity to work with such talent, both the other artists and contestants, is definitely going to make for an exciting competition." Clarkson, Thicke and Richie have all been made guest mentors on "The Voice".
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video