It's Official, 'The Killing' Star Joel Kinnaman Is the New 'RoboCop' in Remake
After going through a long casting to find a leading man, Jose Padilha's upcoming "RoboCop" remake has finally found the right actor to tackle the titular character. Deadline reported that Joel Kinnaman has been sealed to play the main protagonist in the film, which is developed at MGM.
Kinnaman, who is famously known for his portrayal of Stephen Holder on AMC's "The Killing", has been reported to be eyed for the film since February. Before Kinnaman's name emerged as the frontliner, it was long-rumored that Michael Fassbender was offered to star as the cyborg police.
By joining the reboot project, Kinnaman is set to take on the iconic role, which was originally made famous by Peter Weller. The character itself is described as a cop who is brought back from the brink of death in the form of a cyborg with no memories of his prior life.
The original "RoboCop" was introduced to Hollywood by director Paul Verhoeven in 1987. The reboot, meanwhile, has Josh Zetumer serving as the screenwriter. Eric Newman and Marc Abraham join force to produce the film through Strike Entertainment.
While plot details of the "RoboCop" remake are still unclear, director Padilha once opened up that his remake project will have the same elements from the original version. He told IGN in November 2011, "Verhoven made that film in the '80s, and it was brilliant."
"I think some of the humor and the way he dealt with the satire in that film, it's pretty much needed today, don't you think?" the Brazilian director added. "We've gotta keep that [humor], by all means."
As for Kinnaman, aside from his notable stint on "The Killing", the Swedish actor was seen taking part in David Fincher's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" and Chris Gorak's "The Darkest Hour". Most recently, he starred opposite Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds in Daniel Espinosa's "Safe House".
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video