Madonna Denies Changing 'Girls Gone Wild' Title to Avoid Legal Brawl
Madonna debunks speculation that she dropped "s" from her single "Girls Gone Wild" because she wanted to prevent copyright dispute with Joe Francis. Her manager Guy Oseary tells TMZ that the word "Girls" was changed into singular because that's the way the "W.E." director actually sings it in the song.
In a further statement, Oseary says "Girl Gone Wild" is not the only song in Madge's album, "MDNA", that gets its title changed. He also stresses that the singer has never heard of Francis, and she doesn't even know that the mastermind behind "Girls Gone Wild" franchise were making legal threat towards her.
Before Madge's camp issues the statement in response to the title change, Francis has previously commented on the matter. He's adamant that the move was "an immediate solution for them (Madge and her people) to thwart any injunctive relief."
"Clearly her label was trying to avoid legal action surrounding the song," Francis stated. "But, this is still infringement as far as the law is concerned and we have been in touch with Madonna's representatives in an effort to resolve this issue."
Oseary himself laughs off the idea that Francis owns the rights to "Girls Gone Wild" title. He points out that there are a number of songs called "Girls Gone Wild" including tracks by Ludacris, Jagged Edge, T Mills, Lee Kernaghan, Lil Rick and Jackie Kashian.
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album
- Hayes Grier Shares Photo From Hospital, Assures Fans He's 'Good' After Dirt Bike Crash
- Constance Wu Slams 'Great Wall' for Whitewashing: Our Heroes Don't Look Like Matt Damon
- Zachary Quinto Addresses Engagement Speculations and Wedding Plans to Miles McMillan
- Justin Bieber Teases 'Cold Water' Video as the Major Lazer Collab Hits No. 1 on U.K. Chart
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC