Marilyn Monroe Picked as Icon for Cannes Film Festival's 65th Anniversary
Cannes Film Festival has chosen none other than legendary actress Marilyn Monroe as the icon for its 2012 festival. The late blond bombshell is featured in an official poster to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the festival.
In the black-and-white image, which was taken by photographer Otto L. Bettmann, Monroe is seen seductively blowing out a candle on a birthday cake. Designed by The Bronx agency in Paris, the one-sheet also aims to pay tribute to the star in the 50th anniversary of her death.
In a press release issued on Tuesday, February 28, Cannes Festival explained why it picked Monroe as the icon for its 65th edition. "Fifty years after her death, Marilyn is still a major figure in world cinema, an eternal icon, whose grace, mystery and power of seduction remain resolutely contemporary," so reads the open statement.
"Each of her screen appearance sparks the imagination. The Festival poster captures Marilyn by surprise in an intimate moment where myth meets reality, a moving tribute to the anniversary of her passing, which coincides with the Festival anniversary," it continues.
The press release adds, "She enchants us with this promising gesture: a seductively blown kiss. The Festival is a temple of glamour and Marilyn is its perfect incarnation. Their coming together symbolizes the ideal of simplicity and elegance."
The 65th annual Cannes Film Festival will run from May 16 to 27. Italian actor and filmmaker Nanni Moretti will preside over the jury.
- Lea Michele Cuddles With Late Boyfriend Cory Monteith in Heartbreaking Throwback Photo
- 'The Walking Dead' Producers Didn't Tone Down the Violence Despite Previous Claim
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Zoolander 2' Lead 2017 Razzie Award Nominations
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Her Killer Curves in New Puma Campaign
- Darren Criss Will Play Villain in 'The Flash' and 'Supergirl' Musical Crossover
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' First On-Set Photo Unearthed
- 'Jurassic World 2' Casts 'The Detour' Star Daniella Pineda in Key Role
- Fox News Dumps Controversial Contributor Stacey Dash