Marilyn Monroe Picked as Icon for Cannes Film Festival's 65th Anniversary
Cannes Film Festival has chosen none other than legendary actress Marilyn Monroe as the icon for its 2012 festival. The late blond bombshell is featured in an official poster to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the festival.
In the black-and-white image, which was taken by photographer Otto L. Bettmann, Monroe is seen seductively blowing out a candle on a birthday cake. Designed by The Bronx agency in Paris, the one-sheet also aims to pay tribute to the star in the 50th anniversary of her death.
In a press release issued on Tuesday, February 28, Cannes Festival explained why it picked Monroe as the icon for its 65th edition. "Fifty years after her death, Marilyn is still a major figure in world cinema, an eternal icon, whose grace, mystery and power of seduction remain resolutely contemporary," so reads the open statement.
"Each of her screen appearance sparks the imagination. The Festival poster captures Marilyn by surprise in an intimate moment where myth meets reality, a moving tribute to the anniversary of her passing, which coincides with the Festival anniversary," it continues.
The press release adds, "She enchants us with this promising gesture: a seductively blown kiss. The Festival is a temple of glamour and Marilyn is its perfect incarnation. Their coming together symbolizes the ideal of simplicity and elegance."
The 65th annual Cannes Film Festival will run from May 16 to 27. Italian actor and filmmaker Nanni Moretti will preside over the jury.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation