Meryl Streep Blasted for Not Crediting Margaret Thatcher on Her Oscar Speech
Meryl Streep is facing criticisms after claiming the Best Actress title at the 84th Annual Academy Awards for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady". The 62-year-old actress was blasted by Thatcher's former aide for failing to credit the former British Prime Minister on her acceptance speech.
Lord Norman Tebbit, a close political ally who was in Baroness Thatcher's Cabinet, told The Sun, "I'm not at all surprised she didn't mention her [Thatcher]." He added, "The film was about Meryl Streep, not Lady Thatcher. If Margaret Thatcher had been like the woman portrayed by Meryl Streep, she wouldn't have lasted six months as Prime Minister."
Tebbit was not the only one left disappointed over Thatcher's omission on Streep's winning speech. Thatcher's former press spokesperson, Sir Bernard Ingham, was also unhappy with it. Ingham admitted that he refused to see "Iron Lady" since it focuses on Thatcher's battle with dementia. "I don't propose to see somebody making money out of somebody's age," he claimed. "I think it demonstrates poor taste."
Streep won her third Oscar for her acclaimed role in "Iron Lady". Upon receiving her golden statuette, the veteran actress managed to thank her husband Don, her Hollywood pals and make-up artist Roy Helland. "I just want to thank Roy but also I want to thank, because I really understand I'll never be up here again, I really want to thank all my colleagues, all my friends," she said.
"I look out here and I see my life before my eyes, my old friends, my new friends and really this is such a great honor but the thing that counts the most with me is the friendships and the love and the sheer joy we have shared making movies together," so Streep added. "My friends, thank you, all of you, departed and here for this inexplicably wonderful career. Thank you so much. Thank you."
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?