'Act of Valor' Claims Victory at Box Office on Oscar Weekend
Proving that a movie does not need A-list stars to boost ticket sales, "Act of Valor" debuts atop box office on Oscar weekend. The military drama takes over the throne from "Safe House" by earning $24.4 million, exceeding analysts' expectation of $14 million.
The R-rated action film, which takes "a big risk by offering a new approach to entertainment" with real Navy SEALs joining the cast ensemble, gets good reviews from only 30% of critics, but it earns "A" CinemaScores. Its action-packed TV spots are believed to help attract male moviegoers, which made three-quarters of the audience.
With such strong opening cume, "Act of Valor" easily defeats "Good Deeds" which sits at No. 2 in its first week. Seeing a 25% increase from Friday to Saturday, the latest drama movie from Tyler Perry pulls in $15.5 million in three-day ticket sales.
Taking the third place is "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" which is up one place from No. 4. The Josh Hutcherson and Vanessa Hudgens-starring movie adds $13.3 million to its domestic gross.
Last week's champion "Safe House" falls to No. 4 with $10.9 million. Rachel McAdams' romantic movie "The Vow" still trails behind the Denzel Washington-starring action thriller, rounding up the top 5 with $9.9 million.
In contrary to "Act of Valor", other newcomers "Wanderlust" and "Gone" tank at the chart. The comedy movie, which has Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd on its line-up, places eighth with $6.5 million, while the thriller headlined by Amanda Seyfried takes the ninth place with $4.7 million.
Meanwhile, getting a boost from being best picture nominee at the ongoing Academy Awards, "The Artist" sees around 23.4% increase in ticket sales from last week. The silent movie adds $2.9 million at the thirteenth place.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 24-26, 2012:
- "Act of Valor" - $24.4 million
- "Good Deeds" - $15.5 million
- "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" - $13.3 million
- "Safe House" - $10.9 million
- "The Vow" - $9.9 million
- "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance" - $9 million
- "This Means War" - $8.4 million
- "Wanderlust" - $6.5 million
- "Gone" - $4.7 million
- "The Secret World of Arrietty" - $4.3 million
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour