Hines Ward 'Grateful' for the Dropping of His DUI Charges
Seven months after he was arrested for drunk driving, Hines Ward has got the charges against him dropped. In exchange, the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver pleaded guilty to reckless driving in a DeKalb County, Georgia courtroom on Wednesday, February 22 morning.
According to county prosecutor Sonja N. Brown, the season 12 winner of "Dancing with the Stars" was sentenced to 12 months' probation. He was also ordered to do 80 hours of community service and to undergo alcohol evaluation in addition to paying $2,000 fine.
"We are grateful for the outcome," said Andy Reed, Ward's attorney and manager, in a prepared statement. "By dropping the DUI charge, it is clear that the prosecution did not have sufficient evidence to proceed. Hines has always maintained that his ability to drive was in no way impaired and we are pleased that the facts supported his innocence."
Reed continued that the 35-year-old NFL star "is thankful to his legal team and to all who stood by him." The lawyer added, "Hines has a great respect for the legal system and is also grateful, in particular, to the state for the professional manner in which they handled this matter."
Hines was arrested for drunk driving on July 9, 2011 after failing to maintain his lane and hit a curb. Police said that the four-time Pro Bowl selection had glassy, bloodshot eyes when pulled over and failed field sobriety tests. He was booked into the DeKalb County jail, but was later released on $1,300 bail.
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off