Hines Ward 'Grateful' for the Dropping of His DUI Charges
Seven months after he was arrested for drunk driving, Hines Ward has got the charges against him dropped. In exchange, the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver pleaded guilty to reckless driving in a DeKalb County, Georgia courtroom on Wednesday, February 22 morning.
According to county prosecutor Sonja N. Brown, the season 12 winner of "Dancing with the Stars" was sentenced to 12 months' probation. He was also ordered to do 80 hours of community service and to undergo alcohol evaluation in addition to paying $2,000 fine.
"We are grateful for the outcome," said Andy Reed, Ward's attorney and manager, in a prepared statement. "By dropping the DUI charge, it is clear that the prosecution did not have sufficient evidence to proceed. Hines has always maintained that his ability to drive was in no way impaired and we are pleased that the facts supported his innocence."
Reed continued that the 35-year-old NFL star "is thankful to his legal team and to all who stood by him." The lawyer added, "Hines has a great respect for the legal system and is also grateful, in particular, to the state for the professional manner in which they handled this matter."
Hines was arrested for drunk driving on July 9, 2011 after failing to maintain his lane and hit a curb. Police said that the four-time Pro Bowl selection had glassy, bloodshot eyes when pulled over and failed field sobriety tests. He was booked into the DeKalb County jail, but was later released on $1,300 bail.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic