Sacha Baron Cohen Draws Concerns Over His Plan to Attend Oscars as 'The Dictator'
Sacha Baron Cohen is no stranger in turning people's heads with his eccentric look. After appearing as his outrageous movie alter-egos in several formal occasions a few years ago, the "Borat" actor reportedly aims to attend the 2012 Academy Awards as his raunchy character General Admiral Alladeen from upcoming film, "The Dictator".
Multiple sources revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that Cohen, who was invited to the Oscars as part of "Hugo" cast, has told Paramount Pictures of his extraordinary plan. The plan reportedly prompted concerns at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. A source from the AMPAS, however, claimed that producers Brian Grazers and Don Mischer have not been informed of any Cohen plans.
Should Cohen insist to go on his plan, his action could potentially distract press attention from the Oscar nominees. Besides, it would potentially spark mockery from rival studios executives who will attend the upcoming prestigious event as well.
The AMPAS is known for always careful in excluding any kinds of movie promotion from its annual Oscars telecast. Therefore, Cohen's stunt would likely be limited to the pre-show. Representatives for both Cohen and Paramount have yet to make any comments on the swirling issues.
Cohen has a history of using formal shows to promote his movies. In 2006, he appeared as Borat when attending the Toronto International Film Festival. At that time, he rode a wagon which was pulled by "Kazakhstani peasant women." In 2009, meanwhile, he appeared as gay fashionista Bruno to promote "Bruno" at MTV Video Music Awards.
The husband of actress Isla Fisher was almost chosen as an Oscars host in 2007, but the AMPAS apparently vetoed him due to concerns over his "button-pushing comedy." The British actor's new film "The Dictator" will open in the U.S. on May 11. He will next be seen as Freddie Mercury in an untitled Freddie Mercury biopic written by Peter Morgan.
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal