Whitney Houston's Funeral: Kevin Costner Gives Eulogy, Alicia Keys Sings
Kevin Costner, Whitney Houston's co-star in the hit drama "The Bodyguard", was one of the people in the list to talk about Whitney at her Saturday, February 18 funeral. "This feels right," Kevin began, adding how he was so honored for the opportunity to share a word about the late singer.
"Your mother and I had a lot in common," Kevin told Whitney's daughter Bobbi Kristina and the crowd at the same time. "I know in this moment they will think 'Really?' She's a girl I'm a boy, she's black and I'm white. We both grew up in a Baptist church. ...It was easy for us to laugh, the church was our bond."
After telling about the fun times they shared, Kevin recalled the "Bodyguard" days. "I was reminded that this was her first acting role," he said. "Nobody ever said it out loud, but it was a fair question. Maybe a more experienced actress would do it better. ...The biggest pop star in the world didn't think she was good enough. ...But gee were we lucky to have her."
Kevin then sent a message for Whitney, "Whitney if you could hear me now, you weren't just good enough, you were great. People just don't like you Whitney, they love you." He broke down and had to compose himself for a while after saying, "Off you go Whitney, off you go."
The eulogy was supposed to be followed by a performance from Whitney's godmother Aretha Franklin but Aretha could not make it to the funeral due to illness. A teary-eyed Alicia Keys stepped in, sitting behind her piano and took a moment to gather herself up before singing "Send Me an Angel".
Clive Davis took the podium next, talking about how a voice like Whitney's is waited for a lifetime.
- Two New Characters on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 Revealed. Get the Details!
- Khloe Kardashian Tries to 'Move On and Focus on Herself' During Her 'Sad' 32nd Birthday
- Ansel Elgort Is in Talks to Star in 'Dungeons and Dragons' Reboot
- Did Britney Spears Delay Single to Include Sample of Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River'?
- George Clooney Reportedly 'Refused' to Protect Wife Amal From 'Bloodthirsty Terrorists'
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction