Whitney Houston's Funeral: Stars Arrive, Tyler Perry Speaks
Whitney Houston's funeral on Saturday, February 18 was a star-studded affair as fellow celebrities poured in to New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey. Spotted entering the church were Mary J. Blige, Forest Whitaker, Star Jones, Ray J, Diane Sawyer, and NJ governor Chris Christie.
Also coming early were Whitney's family, her mother Cissy Houston, her daughter Bobbi Kristina and her ex-husband Bobby Brown. A few minutes later, Oprah Winfrey, Gayle King and Mariah Carey arrived simultaneously. There are 1,500 invitations for the funeral in total and they include Kevin Costner, Stevie Wonder and Alicia Keys who are all scheduled to make a tribute for Whitney in their own ways.
All the while, fans are waiting outside the church to pay their last respect by creating a makeshift memorial outside using balloons.
The funeral was opened by a scripture from Rev. Joe A. Carter and followed by a performance from Rev. Donnie McClurkin backed up by choir. Actor Tyler Perry then shared a word about his late best friend, saying "There are two constants about Whitney that I know. There was a grace and caring. ...Nothing separates her from the love of God. ...What I know about her is that she loves her God. ... God bless you Whitney, we love you so much."
McClurkin went back on the podium to recall some funny moments he shared with Whitney before erupting into another performance where he sang, "I miss you". Bishop T.D. Jakes then preached about death which all human are subject to eventually. "Love will last forever, for God is love," he concluded. Rev. Kim Burrell later sang.
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!