Amber Portwood of 'Teen Mom' to Complete Drug Program in Halfway House
Amber Portwood has escaped being sent to prison after being accepted into a drug court diversion program in Madison County, Indiana, but it doesn't mean that she's free from confinement. In fact on Thursday, February 16, Judge David Happe ordered the "Teen Mom" star to complete her rehabilitation at halfway house Sister 2 Sister Ministries.
The Herald Bulletin reported that Portwood seemed to be disappointed by the ruling. She told Happe that she thought she could live with her grandparents while completing the program. In response, the judge told her, "I understand you've been in jail for awhile, and you're frustrated. But the last thing we want to do is release you and have you commit another offense."
On how long Portwood will have to stay at Sister 2 Sister, Happe said that it depends on the MTV reality star's progress. The judge also noted Poortwood will be able to come and go as she wishes, but is required to undergo daily screenings, fulfill treatment obligations, attend drug court each week and comply with the halfway house's 10 P.M. curfew.
Portwood was actually set to be released from the Madison County Jail following her acceptance into the program. The mother of one, however, will have to remain behind bars a little bit longer since the staff of the transitional residence for women getting out of jail is unable to evaluate her until Monday, February 20 or Tuesday, February 21.
Portwood was facing a five-year prison sentence after being arrested on December 19, 2011 for allegedly violating her probation. She pled guilty to one count of possession of a controlled substance and one count of probation violation in January 2012. Should she fail to complete her court-mandated drug rehabilitation program, she will be sent straight to prison.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story