Amber Portwood of 'Teen Mom' to Complete Drug Program in Halfway House
Amber Portwood has escaped being sent to prison after being accepted into a drug court diversion program in Madison County, Indiana, but it doesn't mean that she's free from confinement. In fact on Thursday, February 16, Judge David Happe ordered the "Teen Mom" star to complete her rehabilitation at halfway house Sister 2 Sister Ministries.
The Herald Bulletin reported that Portwood seemed to be disappointed by the ruling. She told Happe that she thought she could live with her grandparents while completing the program. In response, the judge told her, "I understand you've been in jail for awhile, and you're frustrated. But the last thing we want to do is release you and have you commit another offense."
On how long Portwood will have to stay at Sister 2 Sister, Happe said that it depends on the MTV reality star's progress. The judge also noted Poortwood will be able to come and go as she wishes, but is required to undergo daily screenings, fulfill treatment obligations, attend drug court each week and comply with the halfway house's 10 P.M. curfew.
Portwood was actually set to be released from the Madison County Jail following her acceptance into the program. The mother of one, however, will have to remain behind bars a little bit longer since the staff of the transitional residence for women getting out of jail is unable to evaluate her until Monday, February 20 or Tuesday, February 21.
Portwood was facing a five-year prison sentence after being arrested on December 19, 2011 for allegedly violating her probation. She pled guilty to one count of possession of a controlled substance and one count of probation violation in January 2012. Should she fail to complete her court-mandated drug rehabilitation program, she will be sent straight to prison.
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift
- Fans Petition 'Star Wars' to Include First Gay Character to Honor Orlando Victims
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch