Paget Brewster Announces 'Criminal Minds' Departure
"Criminal Minds" is losing one of its main and regular cast. Paget Brewster announced on Wednesday, February 15 that she will no longer extend her contract with CBS to portray Emily Prentiss, in favor of other projects.
"After six wonderful years playing Emily Prentiss, I have decided itís time for me to move on," the actress said in a statement to Deadline. "As much as I will miss my Criminal Minds family, I am excited about the future and other opportunities." She gave her notification to the producers only on Tuesday.
"We were all sad to hear the news, but we respect and support any decision Paget wants to make," the series' executive producer/showrunner Erica Messer said. "Personally, I'm a huge fan and will continue to be one wherever she goes."
Brewster's contract ends in May, meaning she will leave after the end of this season. Although CBS has not officially renewed the crime drama hit, the ratings ensure that the show will return for its eighth season this fall. The other cast, Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Shemar Moore and A.J. Cook are locked for the new season.
Brewster reportedly wants to do a new half-hour pilot this year. She shot a pilot for NBC's comedy "My Life as an Experiment" last year but the network did not pick it up and she worked on a new deal with "Criminal Minds". Had "My Life as an Experiment" meet a green light, Brewster would have left the CBS show at that time.
More Criminal Minds News
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'