Hugh Laurie Denies 'House M.D.' Is Canceled Because He's Tired of the Show
Hugh Laurie won't let rumors surrounding the end of "House M.D." run wilder. Responding to the reports saying that the show is canceled because he "was sick of going to work", the actor said that the quote featured in the news was a comment he made five years ago about a different subject.
"Let me say unequivocally that I love my job, and work harder at it than most journalists work at theirs," the Gregory House of the medical series wrote in a statement released to TV Guide. "As we explained in our press release, we were trying to preserve some of the character's mystique; we never wanted to over-stay our welcome," he went on stressing the reason behind their decision to wrap the show after eight seasons.
"Very possibly, we could have continued with a re-worked formula - House gets a job in a shoe shop and high jinks ensue - but none of us could face that," Laurie went on elaborating. "We wanted to keep the band together and go out with as much dignity as we could muster."
Calling the rumors "not even remotely the truth," the two-time Golden Globe winner quoted what his character often says, "Everybody lies."
Previously, New York Post published an article claiming the truth behind the decision to end "House" is because Laurie wanted to drop out. "We are on such a conveyer belt, and it can get overwhelming," the 52-year-old allegedly told a London newspaper over the weekend as cited by the site.
It further mentioned more citations reportedly said by Laurie, "It's not the playing the character over and over again [that I minded]. It's the coming to work over and over again. You know, we have done 170 episodes now, I think. That's about 50-60 feature films-worth. You want a break, you really do."
"House" producers and Laurie announced in a joint statement released on February 8 that they made a "painful" decision to wrap the show after the currently airing eighth season. The series finale will be filmed in April and is scheduled to air in May.
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent