Video: Meryl Streep Has Her Cinderella Moment at BAFTAs 2012
Meryl Streep has her fair share of a Cinderella moment at the 65th Annual British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards. On Sunday, February 12, the 62-year-old actress lost one of her black Jimmy Choo heels as she made her way to the stage inside London's Royal Opera House to pick up her Best Actress trophy.
Fortunately for the leading lady of "The Iron Lady", Colin Firth was there to retrieve the stiletto shoe and put it back on her foot. After giving her "Mamma Mia!" co-star a smack on the lips for the help, she joked with the audience, "That couldn't have gone any worse," and continued to deliver her acceptance speech.
Opening her speech, the Oscar nominee said, "Somebody once said the fate of the well-known is to be misunderstood and the ambition of this film, 'The Iron Lady', was to look at the life of the Iron Lady from the inside out and to locate something real, maybe hidden, but truthful in the life of someone we've all decided we know everything about already."
The Sunday win brought Streep her second BAFTA kudo after nailing her first in 1982 thanks to her role in "The French Lieutenant's Woman". She bested over Berenice Bejo, Viola Davis, Tilda Swinton and Michelle Williams. Throughout her career, the "Julie & Julia" star has collected a remarkable 14 BAFTA nominations.
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'