Video: Meryl Streep Has Her Cinderella Moment at BAFTAs 2012
Meryl Streep has her fair share of a Cinderella moment at the 65th Annual British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards. On Sunday, February 12, the 62-year-old actress lost one of her black Jimmy Choo heels as she made her way to the stage inside London's Royal Opera House to pick up her Best Actress trophy.
Fortunately for the leading lady of "The Iron Lady", Colin Firth was there to retrieve the stiletto shoe and put it back on her foot. After giving her "Mamma Mia!" co-star a smack on the lips for the help, she joked with the audience, "That couldn't have gone any worse," and continued to deliver her acceptance speech.
Opening her speech, the Oscar nominee said, "Somebody once said the fate of the well-known is to be misunderstood and the ambition of this film, 'The Iron Lady', was to look at the life of the Iron Lady from the inside out and to locate something real, maybe hidden, but truthful in the life of someone we've all decided we know everything about already."
The Sunday win brought Streep her second BAFTA kudo after nailing her first in 1982 thanks to her role in "The French Lieutenant's Woman". She bested over Berenice Bejo, Viola Davis, Tilda Swinton and Michelle Williams. Throughout her career, the "Julie & Julia" star has collected a remarkable 14 BAFTA nominations.
More Meryl Streep News
- Tyga Spotted Shopping With Scott Disick Amidst Claims Rapper Is Bisexual
- Charo Threatens to Quit 'DWTS' Amid Complaints of Unfair Scores
- The Weeknd and Selena Gomez Plan 'Summer Wedding' in Europe
- Taylor Swift Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Struggling With Instagram Bullies
- Watch: John Legend Surprises London Commuters With Mini-Concert at Train Station
- 'Santa Clarita Diet' Scores Second Season Renewal on Netflix
- Rob Kardashian Hints at Wanting More Kids as He's Gearing Up for Baby Dream's First Birthday
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Are Still Dating, Despite Breakup Reports