Rumor of Lil Wayne's Backstage Arrest at Grammys 2012 Clarified as a Hoax
Contrary to earlier claim, Lil Wayne was not arrested on gun charges backstage at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. Setting the record straight was none other than Bryan "Birdman" Williams, the co-founder of the "6 Foot 7 Foot" rapper's label, Cash Money Records.
In an electronic message he sent to Forbes on Sunday, February 12 night, Birdman deemed Weezy's arrest report a hoax. The 42-year-old record producer stated, "[It's] not true, he's good." He went on to say, "I never heard about that. He was good all day."
Rumor that Weezy got in trouble with the police surfaced just moments before the 29-year-old took the stage inside Los Angeles' Staples Center. When he then performed a dance tribute with the likes of Chris Brown and David Guetta, it was speculated that the authorities were waiting for him offstage.
TMZ and The Associated Press were said to be among those sparking report of Weezy's arrest, but had since backtracked the story. The former additionally retweeted a posting by a Twitter user that read, "@TMZ didn't even tweet anything about Lil Wayne getting arrested! Someone made that up, idiots!"
More Lil Wayne News
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'