'The Vow' Opens as Box Office Champion on Record-Breaking Weekend
"The Vow" successfully tops North American box office on a record-breaking weekend. In its debut week, the romantic movie starring Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams rakes in $41.2 million, which marks the biggest non-holiday February weekend ever. The result is rising more than 30% compared to the same weekend in 2011.
"We grossed what it cost to make the film in the first two days. It's really a fantastic result," Rory Bruer, Sony Pictures president of worldwide distribution, says of the drama that cost around $30 million to produce. Bruer explains that the pairing of Tatum and McAdams in the drama plays a big role in the big success. Receiving a "B" CinemaScore, the movie appeals to 72% female audience, with 55% of them under the age of 25.
Landing on the runner-up spot is action pic "Safe House". The new release grosses $40.1 million, which is also beyond the expectation. The Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington-starring movie grabs an "A-" CinemaScore and appeals to mostly female moviegoers, who make up 50% of the audience.
Another newcomer, "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island", opens on the third place this week with $27.3 million. The adventure movie, which stars Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, surpasses its predecessor "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D" which collected $21 million in its first week in 2008.
"We knew things were turning around when we saw the jump on Saturday," Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. Pictures president of domestic distribution says. "Toby Emmerich [head of New Line Cinema] made a great decision in casting Dwayne Johnson."
On the fourth spot, there is a 3D version of George Lucas' epic "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace". The iconic space battle movie grabs $22.4 million on its first weekend. The film attracts 60% male audience, with 49% of them under the age of 25.
Rounding up the top five is former champion "Chronicle", which bags $12 million, dropping 44% from last week. The found-footage thriller collects a total domestic cume of $40.1 million after two weeks playing in the U.S. theaters.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 10-12, 2012:
- "The Vow" - $41.2 million
- "Safe House" - $40.1 million
- "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" - $27.3 million
- "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" (3D) - $22.4 million
- "Chronicle" - $12 million
- "The Woman in Black" - $10.1 million
- "The Grey" - $5 million
- "Big Miracle" - $3.9 million
- "The Descendants" - $3.4 million
- "Underworld: Awakening" - $2.4 million
- 'Han Solo' Movie May Reveal How the Iconic Smuggler Won the Millenium Falcon
- Taylor Swift Details Alleged Groping in Deposition: I Felt 'Distressed' and 'Violated'
- Bow Wow Announces Joint Album With Soulja Boy 'Ignorant S**t' Ahead of Retirement
- 'Westworld' Star Responds to the Man in Black Theories
- 'Deadpool 2': Find Out Details of Tim Miller's Disagreements With Ryan Reynolds That Led to His Exit
- Kylie Jenner Has a Good Reason Why She Mistook a Pig for a Chicken in Viral Clip
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.02 Sneak Peeks: Rick Relinquishes Control, Andrea Tours the Kingdom
- Kanye West Vows to Boycott Grammys if Frank Ocean Isn't Nominated