Grammys 2012: LL Cool J Leads the Crowd to Pray for Whitney Houston
In the wake of Whitney Houston's shocking death, the 54th Annual Grammy Awards took on somber mood on Sunday night, February 12 at Los Angeles' Staples Center. After live performances by Bruce Springsteen and The Beach Boys, host LL Cool J came onto the stage and paid tribute to the late singer.
"Tonight, we ask ourselves: How do we speak to this time, to this day? There is no way around this. We've had a death in our family," the rapper quietly told the crowd. "At least for me, for me, the only thing that feels right is to begin with a prayer. For a woman that we loved, for our fallen sister, Whitney Houston."
Cool J then prayed for Whitney. To the "Heavenly Father," he preached, "We feel truly blessed to have been touched by her beautiful spirit." The crowd gave a standing ovation in honor of the late singe after a vintage video of her singing "I Will Always Love You" hitmaker was shown on the screen. "Whitney, we will always love you," he said.
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby