Grammys 2012: LL Cool J Leads the Crowd to Pray for Whitney Houston
In the wake of Whitney Houston's shocking death, the 54th Annual Grammy Awards took on somber mood on Sunday night, February 12 at Los Angeles' Staples Center. After live performances by Bruce Springsteen and The Beach Boys, host LL Cool J came onto the stage and paid tribute to the late singer.
"Tonight, we ask ourselves: How do we speak to this time, to this day? There is no way around this. We've had a death in our family," the rapper quietly told the crowd. "At least for me, for me, the only thing that feels right is to begin with a prayer. For a woman that we loved, for our fallen sister, Whitney Houston."
Cool J then prayed for Whitney. To the "Heavenly Father," he preached, "We feel truly blessed to have been touched by her beautiful spirit." The crowd gave a standing ovation in honor of the late singe after a vintage video of her singing "I Will Always Love You" hitmaker was shown on the screen. "Whitney, we will always love you," he said.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers