Grammys 2012: LL Cool J Leads the Crowd to Pray for Whitney Houston
In the wake of Whitney Houston's shocking death, the 54th Annual Grammy Awards took on somber mood on Sunday night, February 12 at Los Angeles' Staples Center. After live performances by Bruce Springsteen and The Beach Boys, host LL Cool J came onto the stage and paid tribute to the late singer.
"Tonight, we ask ourselves: How do we speak to this time, to this day? There is no way around this. We've had a death in our family," the rapper quietly told the crowd. "At least for me, for me, the only thing that feels right is to begin with a prayer. For a woman that we loved, for our fallen sister, Whitney Houston."
Cool J then prayed for Whitney. To the "Heavenly Father," he preached, "We feel truly blessed to have been touched by her beautiful spirit." The crowd gave a standing ovation in honor of the late singe after a vintage video of her singing "I Will Always Love You" hitmaker was shown on the screen. "Whitney, we will always love you," he said.
- Snoop Dogg Denies Mocking His 'Nephew' Young Thug in 'Moment I Feared' Video
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 9 Finale: Does Your Favorite Win?
- Kesha's Mother Admits She Has No Firsthand Personal Knowledge of Alleged Rape by Dr. Luke
- Meet Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes' Youngest Daughter Amada
- Tyga Premieres Fun Video for 'Flossin' Featuring His Son King Cairo
- Kris Jenner Comes Under Fire for Allegedly Photoshopping Her Latest Instagram Pic
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoniex' Confirmed to Introduce Dazzler
- Jennifer Lopez Claps Back at Haters for Accusing Her of Photoshopping Her Abs