Adele and Van Halen Race to No. 1 on Hot 200 During Grammy Week
Adele will have to compete with Van Halen to retain her No. 1 spot on Billboard Hot 200 next week. The band are predicted to enter high on the U.S. album chart by selling 180,000 to 200,000 copies of their newly-released album "A Different Kind of Truth".
Adele, meanwhile, has pulled sales number under 150,000 copies every week since reclaiming the first position and ending Michael Buble's reign six weeks ago. Thus, under normal circumstances, she would lose to Van Halen if their final figure meets the expectation.
This weekend, however, there's 54th Grammy Awards, where Adele is going to make her first return to the stage since undergoing throat surgery last year. Her performance at the prestigious event, where she gets six nods, is expected to boost sales of her currently-charting album "21".
Already, a sign of increase in her album sales has been shown this week. She holds the first spot on the Hot 200 by adding another 122,000 copies (up 5% from what she got last week). It marks her 19th nonconsecutive week at No. 1 on the weekly rundown.
If she stays atop the chart next week, she will be tied with Whitney Houston and Elvis Presley who both scored 20-week No. 1 run. As for Van Halen, if they could kick her off the No. 1, it would be the band's first chart-topper with original frontman David Lee Roth.
More Adele News
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo