Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z Have Applied to Trademark Blue Ivy's Name
Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z have made a move to patent their daughter's name, Blue Ivy Carter. According to the Washington Post, the "Countdown" singer and her rapper husband filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to protect the name for possible use in marketing a future line of baby products.
The powerhouse couple submitted their application on January 26 after a couple of attempts from several third parties to use the name. Fashion designer Joseph Mbeh tried to trademark "Blue Ivy Carter NYC" on January 11, while another applicant filed for "Blue Ivy Carter Glory IV" to sell a line of fragrances on January 20.
The filing made by Mbeh and the other applicant have been denied though. On the reasons why, the trademark office explained that Blue Ivy belonged to a "very famous infant", and that products bearing the name could give wrong impression to the customers that they are approved by Queen Bey and Jigga.
While Mbeh and the other applicant have failed in their attempts, a boutique in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin has managed to trademark "Blue Ivy" even before Queen Bey's baby was born. The clothing store made the request back on January 19, 2011 and received approval on August 23 the same year.
Queen Bey and Jigga filed their trademark application through the "Love on Top" singer's company, BGK Trademark Holdings. It is believed that the couple will be granted the request because parents have the authorization to trademark their children's names when they are minors.
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'