Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z Have Applied to Trademark Blue Ivy's Name
Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z have made a move to patent their daughter's name, Blue Ivy Carter. According to the Washington Post, the "Countdown" singer and her rapper husband filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to protect the name for possible use in marketing a future line of baby products.
The powerhouse couple submitted their application on January 26 after a couple of attempts from several third parties to use the name. Fashion designer Joseph Mbeh tried to trademark "Blue Ivy Carter NYC" on January 11, while another applicant filed for "Blue Ivy Carter Glory IV" to sell a line of fragrances on January 20.
The filing made by Mbeh and the other applicant have been denied though. On the reasons why, the trademark office explained that Blue Ivy belonged to a "very famous infant", and that products bearing the name could give wrong impression to the customers that they are approved by Queen Bey and Jigga.
While Mbeh and the other applicant have failed in their attempts, a boutique in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin has managed to trademark "Blue Ivy" even before Queen Bey's baby was born. The clothing store made the request back on January 19, 2011 and received approval on August 23 the same year.
Queen Bey and Jigga filed their trademark application through the "Love on Top" singer's company, BGK Trademark Holdings. It is believed that the couple will be granted the request because parents have the authorization to trademark their children's names when they are minors.
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group