Oscars Scraps Performances of Nominated Songs From 'Muppets' and 'Rio'
Audience will likely not see "Man or Muppet" or "Real in Rio" being performed at the Oscars telecast next February 26. Deadline broke the news that the music branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has planned to skip the musical performances of both Best Original Song nominees.
The decision, however, has yet to be sealed as producers Brian Grazer and Don Mischer still have a work in progress. "The show is not locked yet," stated an authoritative source. "Decisions about this and other things continue to be evaluated by the team trying to produce the most entertaining 3 hours possible."
Should the decision to omit the Best Song nominees performance be signed, audience will not see Jason Segel having duet with Walter to sing the original soundtrack for "The Muppets" nor Sergio Mendes delivering the original song from "Rio".
It is said that both Walt Disney Pictures and 20th Century Fox have formally protested the plan but they received turn-downs from the AMPAS. One song insider said, "It seems like a huge missed opportunity to me, and we certainly tried." Another insider added, "It doesn't make sense. They could have so much fun with 'Muppets' and 'Rio' staging."
"Man or Muppet" and "Real in Rio" are the only two songs being nominated for this year's Best Original Song category at Oscars. With its complicated voting system, the AMPAS' music branch has snubbed such artists as Elton John, Mary J. Blige and Sinead O'Connor to compete in the category.
Previously, there have been several Academy Awards shows that didn't have the Best Song nominees performance, including in 1989. At that time, producer Alan Car chose the now-infamous musical number from Rob Lowe and Snow White, instead of performances from Best Song nominees.
- Rob Kardashian Crushing on His Own Sister Kim When He Was Young
- Zack Snyder Hints at Deathstroke's Cameo in 'Justice League'
- Kim Kardashian Ditches Panties in Jaw-Dropping Look at Paris Fashion Week
- Britney Spears Feels Great in Her 30s Because Her 20s Were 'Horrible'
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'
- Luke Cage's Leading Lady Misty Knight Confirmed to Return on 'The Defenders'
- Don't Call Zayn Malik 'Celebrity' Because He Loathes It!