'Mildred Pierce' and 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' Hailed by Art Directors Guild
"Mildred Pierce" continued its impressive feat by grabbing an accolade at another award event. After scoring Outstanding Art Direction for a Miniseries or Movie at the 2011 Emmy Awards, the Kate Winslet-starring show nabbed a gong for excellence in production design for Television Movie or Miniseries at the 16th Annual Art Directors Guild Awards, beating out "Cinema Verite", "Too Big to Fail" and more.
In a Half Hour Single-Camera Television Series category, "Modern Family" came out as the winner after competing against the likes of "30 Rock", "Weeds" and "Californication". "Boardwalk Empire", meanwhile, won the title of best production design for One-Hour Single Camera Television Series, edging out other critically-acclaimed shows "Game of Thrones" and "American Horror Story".
In the movie field, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" claimed a victory in Contemporary Film category. "Hugo" and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" also won a prize each, being named the best production design for Period Film and Fantasy Film respectively.
The winners of ADG Awards were announced on Saturday, February 4 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Hosting the ceremony was Paula Poundstone with Ben Vereen serving as the musical guest.
During the show, the Art Directors Guild also presented production designer Tony Walton with a Lifetime Achievement Award, while the team behind the "Harry Potter" films was honored with Guild's Cinematic Imagery Award. Additionally, production designers Robert Boyle, William Darling and Alfred Junge were inducted into the ADG's Hall of Fame.
Winners for excellence in production design in television in 2011:
- One-Hour Single Camera Television Series: "Boardwalk Empire" (Episode 21) - Bill Groom
- Television Movie or Mini-Series: "Mildred Pierce" - Mark Friedberg
- Episode of a Half Hour Single-Camera Television Series: "Modern Family" (Episode: "Express Christmas") - Richard Berg
- Episode of a Multi-Camera, Variety, or Unscripted Series: "Saturday Night Live" (Episode: Host Justin Timberlake) - Keith Ian Raywood, Eugene Lee, Leo Yoshimura, N. Joseph De Tullio
- Awards, Music, or Game Shows: 83rd Annual Academy Awards - Steve Bass
- Period Film: "Hugo" - Dante Ferretti
- Fantasy Film: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" - Stuart Craig
- Contemporary Film: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" - Donald Graham Burt
- Taylor Swift Won't Come to MTV VMAs 2016 as Kanye West Is Given Free Reign on Stage
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up