'Mildred Pierce' and 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' Hailed by Art Directors Guild
"Mildred Pierce" continued its impressive feat by grabbing an accolade at another award event. After scoring Outstanding Art Direction for a Miniseries or Movie at the 2011 Emmy Awards, the Kate Winslet-starring show nabbed a gong for excellence in production design for Television Movie or Miniseries at the 16th Annual Art Directors Guild Awards, beating out "Cinema Verite", "Too Big to Fail" and more.
In a Half Hour Single-Camera Television Series category, "Modern Family" came out as the winner after competing against the likes of "30 Rock", "Weeds" and "Californication". "Boardwalk Empire", meanwhile, won the title of best production design for One-Hour Single Camera Television Series, edging out other critically-acclaimed shows "Game of Thrones" and "American Horror Story".
In the movie field, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" claimed a victory in Contemporary Film category. "Hugo" and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" also won a prize each, being named the best production design for Period Film and Fantasy Film respectively.
The winners of ADG Awards were announced on Saturday, February 4 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Hosting the ceremony was Paula Poundstone with Ben Vereen serving as the musical guest.
During the show, the Art Directors Guild also presented production designer Tony Walton with a Lifetime Achievement Award, while the team behind the "Harry Potter" films was honored with Guild's Cinematic Imagery Award. Additionally, production designers Robert Boyle, William Darling and Alfred Junge were inducted into the ADG's Hall of Fame.
Winners for excellence in production design in television in 2011:
- One-Hour Single Camera Television Series: "Boardwalk Empire" (Episode 21) - Bill Groom
- Television Movie or Mini-Series: "Mildred Pierce" - Mark Friedberg
- Episode of a Half Hour Single-Camera Television Series: "Modern Family" (Episode: "Express Christmas") - Richard Berg
- Episode of a Multi-Camera, Variety, or Unscripted Series: "Saturday Night Live" (Episode: Host Justin Timberlake) - Keith Ian Raywood, Eugene Lee, Leo Yoshimura, N. Joseph De Tullio
- Awards, Music, or Game Shows: 83rd Annual Academy Awards - Steve Bass
- Period Film: "Hugo" - Dante Ferretti
- Fantasy Film: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" - Stuart Craig
- Contemporary Film: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" - Donald Graham Burt
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival