'Soul Train' Creator Don Cornelius Showed No Signs of Being Suicidal, Son Says
Don Cornelius might have died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on February 1, but his son claimed he didn't see any signs that the "Soul Train" creator was suicidal before his death. In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Tony Cornelius said, "There were no signs of anything like that."
"Many people can tell you they spoke to him, they talked to him, he was smiling when they saw him," Tony further pointed out. When asked what might have triggered Don to end his life, the son responded, "He was not feeling well so it's really hard to say why my dad decided he had had enough."
"It's just one of those things. You just never know what someone is thinking," he continued on sharing his thought on his father's tragic passing. "I can tell you due to health, things like divorce and relationships, there's all kinds of things that may trigger a reaction like that. But as his son, as one who was really close, I can't tell you [why]."
Though so, Tony did note, "The factor that I would say, as his son, that really hurt him would be his health. My father had an aneurysm 15 or 20 years ago. When you're struck with that kind of problem, it affects other parts of your body. He could get around well [but] he was frustrated by his health."
A remembrance to celebrate Don's life is being planned for February 17, but the place and guests have yet to be confirmed. In the meantime, Tony looks forward to creating a foundation in his father's name to help others who are struggling. "There are quite a few kids that are committing suicide," he spilled. "Many times out of tragedy comes help."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie