Drake Responds to Ex-Girlfriend's Lawsuit Over Royalties of 'Marvin's Room'
Drake has issued a statement to answer a lawsuit filed by his ex-girlfriend, Ericka Lee, regarding royalties of his song "Marvin's Room". Contrary to Lee's claim that she's denied payment for her work as a co-writer, Drizzy insists he "has not engaged in any wrongful conduct."
"This claim is entirely without merit," his rep says in a statement. "Ericka Lee consented to the use of her voice in the song 'Marvin's Room' prior to its release. Lee asked only for the credit she received as 'Syren Lyric Muse,' and she did not ask for any compensation."
The publicist furthermore explains the situation, "It was only after she retained a lawyer that there was a demand for payment. Drake tried for months to resolve the matter amicably, and he now looks forward to being vindicated in court."
Lee reportedly has filed the suit against Drizzy on Thursday, February 2 in California federal court. The woman, who voices the female on the other end of his drunken "Marvin's Room" phone call, claims that during their fling last year, they discussed about working in a joint project and traded poems and song lyrics.
They later agreed to collaborate together in "Marvin's Room" and shared the royalties. According to Lee, Drizzy acknowledged her contribution in the song via some text messages he sent to her. One reportedly read, "U basically made that song," and another read, "It's s**t without you."
When their relationship went sour after the song was released, they tried to meet for a discussion but the talk never happened. According to the legal paper, Drizzy attempted to compensate her by offering 2 percent of "publishing royalties," but she refused and hired a lawyer instead.
Her move upset the Young Money rhymer, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He allegedly made threatening phone calls, telling to her, "What the f*** is your problem?" In his further attempt to settle the case outside the court, he raised his offer by giving her "4-5%" of the publishing royalties and a $50,000 payout.
More Drake News
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage