Drake Responds to Ex-Girlfriend's Lawsuit Over Royalties of 'Marvin's Room'
Drake has issued a statement to answer a lawsuit filed by his ex-girlfriend, Ericka Lee, regarding royalties of his song "Marvin's Room". Contrary to Lee's claim that she's denied payment for her work as a co-writer, Drizzy insists he "has not engaged in any wrongful conduct."
"This claim is entirely without merit," his rep says in a statement. "Ericka Lee consented to the use of her voice in the song 'Marvin's Room' prior to its release. Lee asked only for the credit she received as 'Syren Lyric Muse,' and she did not ask for any compensation."
The publicist furthermore explains the situation, "It was only after she retained a lawyer that there was a demand for payment. Drake tried for months to resolve the matter amicably, and he now looks forward to being vindicated in court."
Lee reportedly has filed the suit against Drizzy on Thursday, February 2 in California federal court. The woman, who voices the female on the other end of his drunken "Marvin's Room" phone call, claims that during their fling last year, they discussed about working in a joint project and traded poems and song lyrics.
They later agreed to collaborate together in "Marvin's Room" and shared the royalties. According to Lee, Drizzy acknowledged her contribution in the song via some text messages he sent to her. One reportedly read, "U basically made that song," and another read, "It's s**t without you."
When their relationship went sour after the song was released, they tried to meet for a discussion but the talk never happened. According to the legal paper, Drizzy attempted to compensate her by offering 2 percent of "publishing royalties," but she refused and hired a lawyer instead.
Her move upset the Young Money rhymer, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He allegedly made threatening phone calls, telling to her, "What the f*** is your problem?" In his further attempt to settle the case outside the court, he raised his offer by giving her "4-5%" of the publishing royalties and a $50,000 payout.
More Drake News
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'