ABC Picks Up Ellen DeGeneres' Comedy After NBC Passed on It
Ellen DeGeneres-executive produced TV project has landed a pilot order on ABC. The Alphabet picked up "The Smart One" after NBC, which acquired the comedy with a put pilot commitment in October last year, passed on it.
The half-hour multicamera comedy, which sparked a bidding war last September, stars DeGeneres' wife Portia de Rossi as "a brilliant and successful woman who begrudgingly goes to work for her less-brainy but more popular sister - a former beauty queen, weather girl and now big-city Mayor."
The host of NBC's "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" will team up with Lauren Corrao to executive produce it, while "Samantha Who?" co-creator/executive producer Don Todd will write the pilot.
The show will mark de Rossi's first TV gig since she starred on ABC's "Better Off Ted". DeGeneres herself has previously had a working relationship with the network when she headlined her self-titled sitcom in the 1990s.
More Ellen DeGeneres News
- Watch Danny Brown's Graphic Video for 'Ain't It Funny', Directed by Jonah Hill
- 'DWTS': After Alleged Diva Behavior, Nancy Kerrigan Now Threatens to Quit the Show
- Prince's Ex-Wife Reveals Devastating Addiction and Secret Overdoses Before His Tragic Death
- Casey Affleck Is a White-Sheeted Ghost in 'A Ghost Story' First Trailer
- Drake Postpones Amsterdam Concert Due to Extreme Food Poisoning
- Watch Lorde's Sweet 'Green Light' Remix About Creme Eggs
- Cheryl and Liam Payne Planning an 'Intimate Quickie Wedding' After Welcoming Their Son
- Steamy Photos of 'Supergirl' Stars Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood Confirm Their Romance