Miley Cyrus: If My Southern Father Can Support Same-Sex Marriage, Anyone Can
Miley Cyrus isn't afraid of speaking out what she has in mind when it comes to same-sex marriage. In an article she wrote for Glamour.com, the 19-year-old songstress addressed the backlash she received after tweeting a photo of her marriage equality tattoo back in August 2011, and shared her belief that anyone can support it.
On the backlash itself, the "LOL" actress recalled, "A lot of people mocked me - they said, 'What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!' And I said, 'Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.' " She continued, "The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me."
"At one point I had to say, 'Dude, everyone lay off.' Can't people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?" the "Can't Be Tamed" singer asked. She went on to state her stance as writing, "I believe every American should be allowed the same rights and civil liberties."
"Without legalized same-sex marriage, most of the time you cannot share the same health benefits, you are not considered next of kin and you are not granted the same securities as a heterosexual couple. How is this different than having someone sit in the back of the bus because of their skin color?"
Miley then shared her words of advice, "We all should be tolerant of one another and embrace our differences." She further pointed out, "My dad [country singer Billy Ray Cyrus], who is a real man's man, lives on the farm and is as Southern and straight as they come. He loves my gay friends and even supports same-sex marriage. If my father can do it, anyone can."
More Miley Cyrus News
- NBC Sets Premiere Date for DC Comics' Comedy 'Powerless'
- Meghan Trainor Scraps Remaining 2016 Tour Dates due to Illness
- Pharrell Joins Forces With Alicia Keys on New Song 'Apple'
- Jennifer Lawrence Gets Blasted for Scratching Her Butt on Sacred Rocks
- The Rock Seduced by a Bikini Babe in 'Baywatch' Longer Teaser Trailer
- Taylor Swift and Zayn Malik Team Up for 'Fifty Shades Darker' Song 'I Don't Wanna Live Forever'
- Spidey Faces Off Vulture in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' First Trailer
- AFI Lists 'Game of Thrones', 'The Americans' and 'Better Call Saul' as Best TV Shows of 2016