'Amazing Spider-Man' Viral Video Gives Clue to Global Event
"The Amazing Spider-Man" will not open in the U.S. theaters until summer, but already its campaign footage became viral. The video gives a look at Spidey's symbol being projected on various famous landmarks around the world, including the Arc de Triomphe, the Sydney Opera House, the Kremlin and the Colesseum.
In addition to the red Spidey symbol, there is also a projection of a specific date that gives a clue to a global screening event to unveil the superhero movie's never-before-seen footage. A line in the projection reads, "On February 6th TheUntoldStoryBegins.com."
The viral video has been downloaded by over 1 million viewers in the first 48 hours. Sony played it coy when Entertainment Weekly asked about the meaning behind the Spidey symbol shown in cities like New York, Mexico, Madrid, London, Berlin, Paris, Seoul, Tokyo, Rio De Janeiro and more.
"We didn't do any other advertising of these events," said Sony's head of worldwide marketing Marc Weinstock of the guerilla marketing campaign. "It was just those images."
To open wide in the U.S. theaters on July 3, 2012, "The Amazing Spider-Man" centers on Peter Parker. Like most teenagers his age, he is trying to figure out who he is and how he to be the person he is today. In his journey to put the pieces of his past together, he uncovers a secret that his father held. The secret will ultimately shape his destiny as Spider-Man.
Marc Webb works behind the lens for the Marvel superhero pic, with James Vanderbilt providing the script. The cast ensemble include Andrew Garfield as the titular hero, Emma Stone as his leading lady Gwen Stacy, Rhys Ifans as supervillain The Lizard, and Denis Leary as Gwen's father Captain George Stacy.
- Taylor Swift Makes Donation to Hospital That Saved Her Godson
- Daniel Radcliffe Eyed for 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami
- 'Stranger Things' Officially Renewed for Season 2 - Watch the Teaser Here!
- Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban Lead Nominations for 2016 CMA Awards