GLAAD Applauded J.C. Penney for Standing by Ellen DeGeneres
J.C. Penney has responded to One Million Moms (OMM)' campaign against the hiring of Ellen DeGeneres as its spokeswoman. A spokeswoman for the retail giant said in a statement released Friday, February 3 that it "stands behind its partnership" with the openly-gay comedienne, gaining applaud from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD).
GLAAD spokesman Herndon Graddick said in a statement, "This week Americans spoke out in overwhelming support of LGBT people and J.C. Penney's decision not to fire Ellen simply for who she happens to love." Since it launched its Stand Up For Ellen campaign in response to OMM's demand that Penney should fire DeGeneres, the anti-defamation organization has received more than 26,000 signatures.
"But while Ellen has the nation on her side, in 29 states today, Americans can still be legally fired just for being gay," Graddick continued to point out. "Our elected officials should use this incident as yet another example of the support for legal protections for all hard working employees."
OMM, a division of the American Family Association, previously slammed Penney for not being "neutral in the culture war" by hiring DeGeneres. The organization wrote on its site, "Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families. More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly."
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective
- Too Fat! Top Doc Says Mariah Carey Risks Heart Disease After Ballooning to 263 Pounds
- Girls' Generation's Tae Yeon and Hyoyeon Call Out NCT Stalkers on Instagram Story
- Jon Hamm Is a Hologram Husband in Eerie Trailer for Sci-Fi 'Marjorie Prime'
- Kendall Jenner Tries to Win Harry Styles Back by Posting Racy Photos on Social Media
- One Dead, Seven Injured After Ride Malfunctions at Ohio State Fair