Daniel Radcliffe: My Drinking Has Turned Me Into a Recluse at 20
Daniel Radcliffe has been open about his past dependence on alcohol, but he took it a notch further in a new interview. The English actor, who plays Arthur Kipps in "The Woman in Black", recently confessed to ShortList magazine that his drinking habits turned him into "a recluse at 20."
"The drinking was unhealthy and damaging to my body and my social life," he explained. "That's beyond question. I was living in constant fear of who I'd meet, what I might have said to them, what I might have done with them, so I'd stay in my apartment for days and drink alone."
The leading man of the "Harry Potter" film series continued on by admitting, "It was pathetic - it wasn't me." He added, "I'm a fun, polite person and it turned me into a rude bore. For a long time people were saying to me, 'We think you have a problem,' but in the end I had to come to the realization myself."
When asked whether he "had a couple of fun drunken nights out" before giving up on alcohol, the "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" actor replied, "Yeah, but I can't remember them [laughs]." In a more serious note, he said, "In the last three years of drinking I blacked out nearly every time. Blacking out was my thing."
During the chat, Radcliffe also revealed that he did talk about his problem with co-star Gary Oldman, who battled alcoholism himself in the '90s. "I didn't say I had a problem - because I didn't think I did at that point - but I told him I shared that mentality he had for actively seeking out chaos," he spilled.
The 22-year-old further recalled that Oldman "just said, 'You can't keep doing this. You've got too much to lose.' " He went on to note, "And that really went in. But not even he could have stopped me alone - I had to stop myself. And stopping has shown me a world of happiness that I didn't think was possible."
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Pissed at Heather Morris' Shocking 'DWTS' Elimination
- Eww! Kim Kardashian Says Big Sis Kourtney Threw Up in Her Bed Four Times and Slept in It
- Scott Disick Hangs Out With Khloe Kardashian Look-Alike in the Beverly Hills Hotel
- Has Zoe Saldana Revealed 'Avengers 4' Title?
- Kendrick Lamar Announces 'The Damn. Tour' Dates