Daniel Radcliffe: My Drinking Has Turned Me Into a Recluse at 20
Daniel Radcliffe has been open about his past dependence on alcohol, but he took it a notch further in a new interview. The English actor, who plays Arthur Kipps in "The Woman in Black", recently confessed to ShortList magazine that his drinking habits turned him into "a recluse at 20."
"The drinking was unhealthy and damaging to my body and my social life," he explained. "That's beyond question. I was living in constant fear of who I'd meet, what I might have said to them, what I might have done with them, so I'd stay in my apartment for days and drink alone."
The leading man of the "Harry Potter" film series continued on by admitting, "It was pathetic - it wasn't me." He added, "I'm a fun, polite person and it turned me into a rude bore. For a long time people were saying to me, 'We think you have a problem,' but in the end I had to come to the realization myself."
When asked whether he "had a couple of fun drunken nights out" before giving up on alcohol, the "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" actor replied, "Yeah, but I can't remember them [laughs]." In a more serious note, he said, "In the last three years of drinking I blacked out nearly every time. Blacking out was my thing."
During the chat, Radcliffe also revealed that he did talk about his problem with co-star Gary Oldman, who battled alcoholism himself in the '90s. "I didn't say I had a problem - because I didn't think I did at that point - but I told him I shared that mentality he had for actively seeking out chaos," he spilled.
The 22-year-old further recalled that Oldman "just said, 'You can't keep doing this. You've got too much to lose.' " He went on to note, "And that really went in. But not even he could have stopped me alone - I had to stop myself. And stopping has shown me a world of happiness that I didn't think was possible."
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'
- John Boyega Play in London Cut Short Due to Bomb Threat
- Joseph Duggar Engaged to Kendra Caldwell at His Sister Joy-Anna's Wedding
- Gregg Allman Dies After Battle With Liver Cancer, Ex-Wife Cher Mourns Him
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic