Conservative Group Wants JC Penney to Fire Ellen DeGeneres for Being Gay
Conservative group called One Million Moms (OMM) are persuading JC Penney to fire their newly-minted spokesperson Ellen DeGeneres because she's openly gay. The issue has spread around like fire with the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) launching an online petition to support DeGeneres.
OMM is a project of American Family Association. On its official site, they wrote, "Their marketing strategy is to help families shop and receive a good value for their money. Degeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JC Penney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there. ...JC Penney has made a poor decision and must correct their mistake fast to retain loyal customers and not turn away potential new, conservative shoppers with the company's new vision."
GLAAD's representative Herndon Graddick commented on the boycott attempt, "Selecting an out performer who has inspired and entertained millions is not only a smart business practice, but a reflection of how LBGT Americans today are an integral and valued part of the fabric of our culture."
DeGeneres used to be an employee of the retail giant before Hollywood happened. The company's CEO Ron Johnson, said about the selection of DeGeneres, "I think Ellen is someone we all trust. She's lovable, likable, honest and funny, but at her soul, we trust her."
On a side note, OMM also attacked Macy's for putting up an ad where there's "cake topper of two men instead of the traditional man and woman".
More Ellen DeGeneres News
- Justin Bieber Exposes His Upper Thighs During Outing
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Name Newborn Baby Boy Dimitri
- John Cena and Casey Affleck Tapped to Host 'SNL'
- Anna Faris Admits She Felt 'Insecure' and 'So Hurt' Over Chris Pratt Cheating Rumors
- Amy Schumer to Play Lead Role in 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- Megyn Kelly Courted by CNN for 8 or 9 P.M. Time Slots
- Check Out First Look at Anne Hathaway on Set of 'Ocean's Eight'
- 'Full House' Creator Buys Original Tanner House in San Francisco for $4M