'American Idol' Portland Auditions Feature a 'Gentle Giant' and Another Sob Story
"American Idol" visited Portland, Oregon in the Wednesday, February 1 episode and found a great talent in a big guy. Jermaine Jones, who is 6-foot-8-and-a-half inches tall, was dubbed the "gentle giant" by the judges who admired his voice.
Soft-hearted Jones sang Luther Vandross' "Superstar". Jennifer Lopez praised him, "It's a natural gift you have," while Steven Tyler gushed, "You have a really spiritual voice. It took me away." The three judges agreed to give him the ticket to Hollywood.
Another good performer scouted in the city, Jessica Phillips came with a sad story. The 25 year-old dental hygienist from Brooklyn has been taking care of her boyfriend after he got a stroke last Easter. He didn't remember her when he was awaken.
Phillips delivered a cover of Faith Evans' "Again". Though J.Lo criticized her breath control in the song's closing moments, she got through to the next round. Outside the audition room, her boyfriend was waiting and they hugged as she came out with the good news, presenting a touching moment.
Also getting the highlight in the episode was Brittany Zika, whose clumsiness has earned her the nickname "Tripster the Hipster". J.Lo noticed she has "one of the prettiest voices we've heard" after she performed "The Story" by Brandi Carlile.
Single mother Britnee Kellogg, who separated from her basketball player husband after he cheated on her, poured her heart out in "You're No Good". Randy Jackson liked the attitude in her voice, and she was given "yes" answers.
The Portland auditions gave away 45 Golden Tickets in total. Among other contestants sent to Hollywood were 22-year-old Naomi Gillies who impressed Tyler with the rendition of Aerosmith's "Cryin' ", and 22-year-old Romeo Diahn, who got a "little tiny yes" from J.Lo.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny