Taylor Swift Loses to Samantha Barks for Eponine Part in 'Les Miserables'
Taylor Swift will not be playing Eponine in "Les Miserables" after all. On Tuesday, January 31, producer Cameron Mackintosh announced on stage that Samantha Barks has secured the coveted role after she finished performing an "Oliver!" play at the Manchester Playhouse, England.
Barks might be a newbie in big screen industry, but she is the one who tackled the role of Eponine in the London production of "Les Miserables" in 2010. She reprised the iconic role during the play's 25th anniversary gig that was held at the O2 Arena, London in 2011.
The 21-year-old actress couldn't hide her excitement as she was chosen to join the high-profile movie. "I can't believe I'm going to play Eponine, a role so close to my heart, a role I played in the West End," she said in a statement. "It's the happiest moment of my life."
In the Victor Hugo classic novel, Eponine a.k.a the Jondrette girl is described as a child who is pampered by her parents, The Thenardiers, before she ends up becoming a street urchin as she grows up. Eponine then falls in love with a man named Marius and dies trying to save his life.
Previously, Swift, Lea Michele, Scarlett Johansson and Evan Rachel Wood were circling the role of Eponine. Earlier this January, it was said that Swift was formally offered the part along with the announcement that Amanda Seyfried has been cast as Cosette.
The big movie project has already cast a slew of notable actors, such as Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, Anne Hathaway as Fantine, Russell Crowe as Inspector Javert, Eddie Redmayne as Marius, and Aaron Tveit as Enjolras.
"Les Miserables" follows the struggle by ex-con Valjean to outrun his past and his relentless pursuer Javert. Serving behind the lens for the much awaited musical is Oscar-winning director Tom Hooper. William Nicholson pens the screenplay based on the Victor Hugo classic novel. Filming is scheduled to kick off in March as the movie is set for a December 7 release in the U.S theaters.
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video