'All in the Family' Director John Rich Dies of Heart Failure
The Directors Guild of America is mourning the death of one of its key figures. John Rich, who won two Emmys and two Golden Globes for his work on "All in the Family", passed away at his home in Los Angeles Sunday, January 29 morning. The 86-year-old died from heart failure after a brief illness.
"We are deeply saddened to learn today of the passing of John Rich," said DGA President Taylor Hackford in a statement. "A legendary figure in the history of TV comedy, John tirelessly served our Guild for nearly six decades. He directed some of the most beloved classics of all time and his skills as a television director were unsurpassed, but no matter how busy and successful his career was, John always made time for the DGA."
"We'll always be grateful to have had the benefit of his formidable presence, his outspoken nature and his years of experience that came from leading and supporting the Guild in some of its most important moments," Hackford continued on. "Our hearts go out to his wife Pat and his family at this difficult time."
Throughout his career, Rich directed such sitcoms as "Gilligan's Island", "Benson", "The Brady Bunch" and "The Dick Van Dyke Show", winning an Emmy for the last mentioned show. He was a member of the Screen Directors Guild since 1953 and served as chairman of the Directors Guild Foundation since 2005.
The founding member of the DGA-Producer Pension Plan is survived by his wife of 22 years, Patty; three children, Catherine, Anthony and Robert; three stepchildren, Megan Lewis, Kimberly Beres and Dana Benton; and eight grandchildren.
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital