'All in the Family' Director John Rich Dies of Heart Failure
The Directors Guild of America is mourning the death of one of its key figures. John Rich, who won two Emmys and two Golden Globes for his work on "All in the Family", passed away at his home in Los Angeles Sunday, January 29 morning. The 86-year-old died from heart failure after a brief illness.
"We are deeply saddened to learn today of the passing of John Rich," said DGA President Taylor Hackford in a statement. "A legendary figure in the history of TV comedy, John tirelessly served our Guild for nearly six decades. He directed some of the most beloved classics of all time and his skills as a television director were unsurpassed, but no matter how busy and successful his career was, John always made time for the DGA."
"We'll always be grateful to have had the benefit of his formidable presence, his outspoken nature and his years of experience that came from leading and supporting the Guild in some of its most important moments," Hackford continued on. "Our hearts go out to his wife Pat and his family at this difficult time."
Throughout his career, Rich directed such sitcoms as "Gilligan's Island", "Benson", "The Brady Bunch" and "The Dick Van Dyke Show", winning an Emmy for the last mentioned show. He was a member of the Screen Directors Guild since 1953 and served as chairman of the Directors Guild Foundation since 2005.
The founding member of the DGA-Producer Pension Plan is survived by his wife of 22 years, Patty; three children, Catherine, Anthony and Robert; three stepchildren, Megan Lewis, Kimberly Beres and Dana Benton; and eight grandchildren.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie